Heat Shrink Carlisle Oar Cover - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Days Ago   #1

Wildlife Biologist
Heat Shrink Carlisle Oar Cover

My Carlisle raft oars were getting pretty nasty with lots of cracks in the plastic coating. I've heard about folks doing this, and got the heat shrink tubing and went for it. See video at: https://youtu.be/PAli3uq_Ofk

gskiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
good looking job you did there.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Nicely done. good edit, good info, good video length.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskiba View Post
My Carlisle raft oars were getting pretty nasty with lots of cracks in the plastic coating. I've heard about folks doing this, and got the heat shrink tubing and went for it. See video at: https://youtu.be/PAli3uq_Ofk

US Plastics corp sells it in 10 foot increments, I did my shafts just as you did and they are like new. Great video and nice job !!

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=81525
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Would there be any reason to prevent this heat shrink from being the solution to fixing Cataract oars that have the exposed fiberglass problem?
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #6

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Would there be any reason to prevent this heat shrink from being the solution to fix Cataract oars that have the exposed fiberglass problem?
Thinking the same. Perhaps a slight less flex? Just got click happy and bought a similar heat shrink wrap on the amazon.
Old 3 Days Ago   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I see no performance reason not to. heat shrink would definitely add a durable coverup to exposed itchy fiberglass.

If you use an oar sleeve, it would probably not fit. You'd need to leave the oar sleeve in place and do the heat shrink above/below it.

I like the look of the Cataract layup, and would clear finish them myself. Heat shrink would make Cataracts look like Carlisles.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I see no performance reason not to. heat shrink would definitely add a durable coverup to exposed itchy fiberglass.

If you use an oar sleeve, it would probably not fit. You'd need to leave the oar sleeve in place and do the heat shrink above/below it.

I like the look of the Cataract layup, and would clear finish them myself. Heat shrink would make Cataracts look like Carlisles.
Yes, but you could get it in pink and your girls would love it! [Just not on the wooden boat lol]
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #9

Wildlife Biologist
Black for Cataracts?

Black heat-shrink would look a little less like Carlisles...

And thanks for the positive comments! It was my first attempt at a video and started out way too long...just kept cutting....
gskiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

Unfortunately, some Cataract ores have degraded beyond a clear finish fix and as you know can be dematologically a disaster waiting to happen. Three horrible instances I can think of. One was when a friends daughter was sitting on the side of his raft with the back of her legs rubbing on "bad" Cataract spare oars. A second was when a friend jumped in the river and pulled himself aboard pulling his entire front side over a 'bad' spare oars multiple times. And third when I was helping a friend rig his boat and I absent mindedly carried four 'bad' oars cradled in my forearms down to the river. I'm sure many people have their stories. Otherwise, these oars are fully functional.

I hadn't thought about the sleeve or rope wrap but that just turns each oar into a two step process as you say.

I think this shrink wrap would be much nicer than the 6 inch wide electrical tape I've used in the past.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
carlisle