Heat diffuser with a partner stove - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Heat diffuser with a partner stove

I'm curious whether anyone has used a heat diffuser with a partner stove. I would love to get the heat spread a little bit for when I use my griddle. I'm a little concerned about it building up too much heat for the aluminum. Evidence-based comments preferred

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
My experience is that as the aluminum gets hot, turning the knobs becomes just like playing Operation... Touch the aluminum surrounding the knob and you will regret it. I haven't seen any stove damage, only minor finger damage. I like the Camp Chef diffusers a lot.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Elevating the griddle helps a lot. I've used rocks and crushed beer cans at the four corners of the stove. The higher you elevate the more defuse the heat (and I guess the more fuel you waste).

Elevating is essential for my large steel griddle since it is larger than the surface area of the Partner. Without the lift the heat is forced out the control holes and thus the "playing Operation" effect.

Without elevating I've seen damage in the past as a consequence of heat cooking the o-rings in the control valve. On another brand I've seen plastic control knobs drop off from melting.

Also without elevation I've seen poor to no combustion since air cannot circulate in due to heat blasting out in all directions including where air is normally expected to enter.

We have a lot of crafty people here on MB. Someone should craft up a lift specifically designed for the Partner.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I don't think i ever noticed any griddle related heat issues.
I've used the partner griddle made for my stove for decades.

The knobs surrounds do get a bit warm.
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Portland, Oregon
My recommendation...Be very careful. Either use the partner spacers (can be bought from them) or cut the diffuser plates so there is plenty of space for air flow.

I completely fried a 16” break-apart and was never abl to get it ‘right’ despite multiple attempts and assistance from Partner.

This is not a knock on Partner - I did not follow their directions / did exactly what they said not to do and hindsight was just plain dumb.

Have since purchased 2 3-burner 26” stoves and follow Manufacture’s directions to a T
PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsells View Post
I don't think i ever noticed any griddle related heat issues.
I've used the partner griddle made for my stove for decades.

The knobs surrounds do get a bit warm.

Same here, but I think using the stove with the partner steel stand allows better ventilation underneath the stove then having it set on a table
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
If you are using a Partner Griddle it has a gap very specifically existing to permit proper ventilation. Look at this link.
https://partnersteel.com/

As I stated, one of my griddles is larger than the surface area of the top of most Partner stoves. (In the past, I frequently provided for private trips larger than 16 people which is why it is in my kitchen options.)

My "evidence based comments" apply to heat dispersion and hot control knobs. It also applies to people whose stove sputters and flames out with large pots or griddles in place.

The problems described are not diminished when the stove is on a Partner stand. The air intake is on the sides. Heat out should be up. Maintain that relationship and all is fine.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
Recreation Law

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1968
Send a message via Skype™ to Recreation_Law
Commercial companies in the grand used to use the tops/bottoms of #10 cans as heat diffusers on the stoves when using big pots. Not when using the griddles or dutches.
Recreation_Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Diffuse or not diffuse....

I have a Partner Steel 22" 2-burner and use a GSI Pinnacle griddle with no spacers or diffusers. The griddle has a coating (radiance technology coating) that claims to radiate the heat evenly and, I have to say, it appears to work quite well. I've made great pancakes (at a very low heat setting) and had fairly even heat across almost all of the surface. It appears GSI now calls that griddle the Bugaboo and has a new fancier griddle that's even nicer, but I haven't tried it. In my book, the fewer accessories I have to drag along on a river trip, the better. My knobs and aluminum up front did not get hot and - based on that -I don't believe it's imperiling the rubber gaskets inside the knobs.
raftman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

oakland, California
Paddling Since: 87
I have 2 pieces of 1 inch square tube steel cut to about 10 inches in length. Place underneath griddle or pots requiring less heat (rice etc). No more melted O rings/plastic nobs or burnt rice.
hinmah is offline   Reply With Quote