Has anyone had experience with the Luxe Batwing? - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Has anyone had experience with the Luxe Batwing?

I know atleast one or two people on here have said they have one. I got a Noah's tarp for Christmas I'm thinking about trading it for a Batwing. I really like how they are laid out more as a rectangle than a diamond is imagine that gives a more useable space, and have a silver reflective coating on one side. Does anyone have any experience with using one in rain/ wind/ etc?

Here's a link
https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collect...ghtweight-tarp

Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I can tell you the Noah's tarp is fine for shade on a calm day, but add a little breeze and you might as well take it down.. 6 of us fought with one at Rattlesnake camp last year, spent 3 hours trying to get it set up to where it would stay, ended up tearing the grommets out of it, and 12 inch long stakes came shooting up out of the ground like rockets. A wing is a much better choice in my estimation, never had those problems with a wing.

Luxe, don't have any experience with their wings, but if they are built anything like their sleeping pads and pillows, BUY IT !! I initially bought a Luxe pad and pillow for motorcycle touring, and ended up buying a double pad, and another pillow for my wife, in the tent they are much more comfortable than a Paco Pad, inflate and deflate in a jiffy. Not for use on a boat as a pad though, as the material is pretty thin, but tough for what it is.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I can tell you the Noah's tarp is fine for shade on a calm day, but add a little breeze and you might as well take it down.. 6 of us fought with one at Rattlesnake camp last year, spent 3 hours trying to get it set up to where it would stay, ended up tearing the grommets out of it, and 12 inch long stakes came shooting up out of the ground like rockets. A wing is a much better choice in my estimation, never had those problems with a wing.
I second this, I have a Noah's tarp and it sucks in the wind, I have had similar problems with the Noah's tarp projectile stakes are not fun to have to dodge.

Very interested in any real experience with this wing. For this price I will replace the Noah' tarp in a hart beat!
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
sell or give your Noah's tarp to a boater you do not like
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Super interested in this, have always been the old school tarp guy, but wanting to upgrade and as JSpoon said at this price I would buy one for sure if they are solid.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Bigger than an MSR Rendevous and $200 cheaper (but it doesn't come with its own poles)

At that price it looks like a steal and it cannot possibly be worse than a Noah. I experienced a total blow out failure of a Noah about 5 minutes after I got it secured enough to stop ripping out stakes. I wonder if the material is ripstop or just regular 68D poly?

I think I would have bought one of these if they were around (or I knew about it) when I got my MSR two years ago.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Salida, Colorado
If you're looking at poles, these adjustable ones work rather well, have had good luck with them and they don't break the bank either.

Seems a lot of folk including me have had issues with Noah's Tarps.. I WISH MSR hadn't bought Moss and Bibler, if you can find an original Moss wing, buy it, Moss built them to last, unlike the MSR, but on the upside, while MSR cheapened them up, they raised the price !! My friend has a Moss that I've been trying to buy from him for years, he won't sell.....
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
If you're looking at poles, these adjustable ones work rather well, have had good luck with them and they don't break the bank either.

Seems a lot of folk including me have had issues with Noah's Tarps.. I WISH MSR hadn't bought Moss and Bibler, if you can find an original Moss wing, buy it, Moss built them to last, unlike the MSR, but on the upside, while MSR cheapened them up, they raised the price !! My friend has a Moss that I've been trying to buy from him for years, he won't sell.....

You forgot a link.

Is a wing like this typically set-up with the low ends up and down stream so winds will push them down instead of into orbit?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
You forgot a link.

Is a wing like this typically set-up with the low ends up and down stream so winds will push them down instead of into orbit?

Ok, am a dumbass..

https://amzn.to/2sgBnY2

I generally have in the past set them up longway into the wind, so the wind blows down the length of them, you can drop one end and it shelters you from most of the breeze. If you set them up sideways, they really can't handle it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Durango, Colorado
Thanks for the link Mr. Nichols. My plan was to hang the tarp off my oars to help keep the amount of crap I carry halfway under control.

If these things are built as well as as it sounds like their tents are I think these could become standard rafting gear along with a roll a table and others.