Has anyone had experience with the Luxe Batwing? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 5 Days Ago   #41

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post

I did some searching on DO recipes and found a nice Cobbler receipe, one I have not seen anywhere else. Expect me to experiment on our next float Bighorn. Get ready it may well be blueberries, pastry and cream cheese inside.
Yum

Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #42

Jenks, Oklahoma
Update: OK is one of those states whose weather depends on which way the wind blows.
Today, summer winds from the Gulf and a nice day, but only for a few days per the weatherman then northern normal wind blasts big time.

I pitched the Luxe Tarp. I like the way it pitches. Design is almost if not exact copy of my Moss Outfitter Wing. I was able to get a decent pitch first time out. I like the cords. The end poles have two lengths in a V shape which is good, think I will do the same on my other tarps. Stitching looks good. There is a reinforcement along the ridge line which may help the pitch procedure. Pockets for the cords is way too small for me to get cords back in. Bottom line lots of cord tie in points and I think with a bit of touch up positioning a very taught pitch is possible. Later on I will sil net the seams.

The provided stakes are not workable for me even in good soil in my back yard. I use US Army surplus aluminum stakes. Highly recommend looking at your local Army Surplus for a supply of these stakes. Get the long ones. Usually cheaper than non surplus pegs I used a pair of REI adjustable tarp poles and they seem to be a good fit. I could not get the tent back in the bag so will replace that bag. The industry should size up all storage bags rare to find one that what ever will fit in. The supplied cord seems to work well altho I will add longer 750 lb parachute type cord. I am looking forward to taking this tarp out west to see how well it stands up to western river trips. I did get the white version as I wanted sun protection.

Bottom line is from my first pitch, this seems to be an ok light weight tarp. Durability to be tested soon as rivers come up.

It is a shame Luxe has such a one sided warranty. Had I read the warranty before sending in my money, I would not have purchased. And, even if the tarp works out in real life, I will not buy one of the Luxe Hot Tents long as the warranty stays like the one I got in my shipping package after I opened the package. This may well be a good product but for some unknown reason, Luxe Warranty is going to really upset potential buyers like me.

Bottom line tho, the Tarp I got looks good and with the normal replacement stuff I do any way the tarp price is pretty good. I was looking for a light weight canoe trip tarp and this Luxe may well fit that need. Time will tell. The Moss tarps I have will be the western river float tarps but this Luxe may become my Southern MO canoe trip tarp.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #43

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I have a Noah and do not consider it a decent group shelter. A classic case of "you get what you pay for".

I have the original Moss Outfitter Wing. For years it was my proudest piece of equipment. Unfortunately, it lost its waterproofing in about a third of its area due to setting a fire pan under it. I've got a recipe for waterproofing from here on MB which I will try when spring arrives.

As has been said many times in this thread, proper staking is essential. The best inexpensive staking I've found is perhaps rebar. The most versatile and affordable stake I've found is a doggie screw(see below). I also carry sand/snow anchors(see below). These anchors work great for rapping around a BFRs, tree trunks or logs(unfortunately, they are less good in the sand and snow). Also, throwing one of these around a tree trunk prevents girdling of trunks such as Aspens.

BTW, MSR still makes high quality gear. So does Bibler but I doubt many of us need a Bibler tent. Bibler is not owned by MSR. It is owned by Black Diamond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sandanchor.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	41971   Click image for larger version

Name:	doggie screw.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	41973  

GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #44

Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
REI Outlet has a $319.95 Nemo Shadowcaster 165 tarp shelter on sale for $95.73, that's 70% off. I don't know anything about the tarp other than it seems like a good price. Nemo makes some of the nicest packable hammocks. They maybe a little spendy, but they are quality. Tarps, I don't know.
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #45

Billings, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I have owned one of these tarps for three years now. The one I have is tan, not the grey one shown. I got it for $160, which I thought was a great deal at the time. First the good news. The fabric is bomber. It is 150 denier ripstop polyester. It just feels thicker and stronger than what you find in other tarps. It has two nice poles, stakes, which you will want to replace with bigger stakes, and all the cords and a repair kit. The bag it comes in is nice and large, so you can easily repack it. It has a nice catenary cut, handles the wind well, and is great in the rain. I would say it is fine for about 8-10 people. According to Nemo, it has a lifetime warranty.

These are this things that are a little different. It is slightly asymmetrical, which does nothing to improve the function. Fortunately the asymmetry is not so pronounced to impair the performance. It is advertised as being specially easy to pitch. It seems to me to pitch like any other tarp. I personally pitch mine with oars. If you use the poles they give you it will feel a little low in the middle. When I use oars, I do like to use the poles on the sides to increase the usable space. It does seem to pack a little large compared to other tarps, but I think that is because the fabric is thicker. Overall it is pretty much a normal river tarp.

I have used mine about 20-30 times. It seems durable and looks like it will last for a long time. If I didnít already have one I would jump on this deal. I have never seen a tarp of this size and type for a price this low. If you have to have the best gear, regardless of price, this might not be what you want. If you are on a budget and need a tarp that will do the job, it may be long time till you find a better deal.
KrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Hours Ago   #46

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
I have owned one of these tarps for three years now. The one I have is tan, not the grey one shown. I got it for $160, which I thought was a great deal at the time. First the good news.

I have used mine about 20-30 times. It seems durable and looks like it will last for a long time. If I didnít already have one I would jump on this deal. I have never seen a tarp of this size and type for a price this low. If you have to have the best gear, regardless of price, this might not be what you want. If you are on a budget and need a tarp that will do the job, it may be long time till you find a better deal.
Was there any really bad news? Based on what you say it sounds like a screaming good deal. REI had one review on it and it was not good but based on your review the 70% off is a hard deal to pass up.
Old 15 Hours Ago   #47

Fort Collins, Colorado
I went ahead and bought this based on the review in this thread. Seems like a great deal. The batwing looks good too but my only concern with it is the quality of fabric, looks to be the same weight as the Kelty Noah. The fabric on this one looks to be much thicker. My concern with this one is that the usable space seems kind of small. Figured it's from REI so it'll be easy to return. I'll set it up in the backyard and see if I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezcruzr View Post
REI Outlet has a $319.95 Nemo Shadowcaster 165 tarp shelter on sale for $95.73, that's 70% off. I don't know anything about the tarp other than it seems like a good price. Nemo makes some of the nicest packable hammocks. They maybe a little spendy, but they are quality. Tarps, I don't know.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Hours Ago   #48

Golden, Colorado
Please let us know what you think especially if before 2/4 when the sale ends.

Even if the poles turn out to seem wimpy then perhaps just use oars and use the OEM poles on the sides. I do this sometimes just to raise the tarp as high as possible when it is blazing hot and the tarp fabric is hot enough to become an oven. As much clearance as possible is preferred. (I many times have broadcast water on the tarp to chill it out. Perhaps the best use of a water blaster toy there is. It is good for almost an hour of evaporative cooling.)

My original Moss Outfitter Wing is made out of the heavy durable fabric. Unfortunately, when it gets saturated wet is takes a long time to dry unlike the silicon(?) fabric of my new NRS wing. Maybe the fabric was more water repellent when it was new.
Old 14 Hours Ago   #49

Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Because it is from REI, you could use this tarp all season and if you didn't like it for any reason, you could return it for a full refund.
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Hours Ago   #50

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for jumping in Kris, I'll probably go the Nemo route after all this. My biggest concern has been durability of the tarp material it sounds like Nemo has that under control. How well would you say it blocks the sun's heat on a blazing day? Does it seem to stay water tight in rain? I like that it comes in a reasonable size bag as well, I hate fighting stuff to get it back in it's bag, hopefully it's big enough for stakes and outer accoutrements so it's a 1 bag system (plus oars).
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote