Has anyone had experience with the Luxe Batwing? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I just said the heck with it and bought the big agnes one, too many upsides, and no real downsides that I can find. Will let you know how it performs after my GC trip in Feb.

MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22

Lawrence, Kansas
We've got one - love it

Hey Folks - We have one of the luxe batwings and love it. Material is very durable and it's held up just fine for us. The unsealed seems haven't been an issue at all. We pitch it with the oars, and it's nice to have the top 10 feet off the ground. We also usually tie a couple of the tie downs on one side to trees, rather than stake them down, which gives more headroom and seems to help it stay stable. It was up in a 70 mph wind last spring, and it didn't stay up for long (the ropes on the trees broke and the stakes pulled up), but I don't know if any tarp would at those wind speeds. No damage to the tarp itself. In more reasonable winds its been great. I've recommended it to other folks, and I'd buy one again if we lost ours. At the price, hard to go wrong.
ktrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]sn.com View Post
I have only one problem with the Luxe batwing tarp. They have a terrible warranty and return policy.
Good catch, I checked their return policy, I'm surprised anyone has such a restrictive policy in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I just said the heck with it and bought the big agnes one, too many upsides, and no real downsides that I can find. Will let you know how it performs after my GC trip in Feb.
They list the head height as 76" which I fear isn't quite high enough for those of us who are 76" tall. I think these are also a little smaller than a Batwing but I'm not seeing a solid overall dimensions.

I'm curious to see what first impressions are of the two tarps when they land.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #24

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
Good catch, I checked their return policy, I'm surprised anyone has such a restrictive policy in 2020.

They list the head height as 76" which I fear isn't quite high enough for those of us who are 76" tall. I think these are also a little smaller than a Batwing but I'm not seeing a solid overall dimensions.

That warranty read to me like they got tired of dealing with people who love to return their heavily used equipment after they set it up in extreme conditions (like Burning Man) that it was never designed or intended to handle. A Material/Manufacturing defects problem warranty seems more then sufficient. I've seen similarly harsh and crappy warranty language from companies that, if you reach out in good faith, will go beyond what they state in the warranty. No idea if Luxe is that way...but its worth exploring.

I already have a Walrus Wing (big...similar to the MSR 220) but if it ever gets shredded I'd consider replacing it with the Luxe one....probably in white. I really like the reflective undercoating...seems worth the risk. I'd love to hear a direct review of how much heat the White one blocks....seems like less heat radiated through the fabric.

I still think about pulling the trigger on their MegaHorn Teepee too... I just need an excuse for a cold weather rafting trip to make it worth it. I think it looks super sexy in that White color.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Dragonfly. There I did it. Someone had to drop it somewhere in this thread for comparison. I'm asking for a friend?
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #26

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Quote:

That warranty read to me like they got tired of dealing with people who love to return their heavily used equipment after they set it up in extreme conditions (like Burning Man) that it was never designed or intended to handle. A Material/Manufacturing defects problem warranty seems more then sufficient. I've seen similarly harsh and crappy warranty language from companies that, if you reach out in good faith, will go beyond what they state in the warranty. No idea if Luxe is that way...but its worth exploring.

I already have a Walrus Wing (big...similar to the MSR 220) but if it ever gets shredded I'd consider replacing it with the Luxe one....probably in white. I really like the reflective undercoating...seems worth the risk. I'd love to hear a direct review of how much heat the White one blocks....seems like less heat radiated through the fabric.

I still think about pulling the trigger on their MegaHorn Teepee too... I just need an excuse for a cold weather rafting trip to make it worth it. I think it looks super sexy in that White color.
I too was thinking they must be tired of getting bs returns when I read their policy. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the rest of your guesses.

I like the idea of the white so you can have the shiny side up keeping things cool and the white underneath to reflect lantern light back down after dark. The problem is I like fun colors and turn almost anything white into brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdking View Post
Dragonfly. There I did it. Someone had to drop it somewhere in this thread for comparison. I'm asking for a friend?

I'm sure their tarps are nice. Myself and I suspect others on this thread are trying to leverage cost and quality to get a pretty good setup for a fair price. Some of those dragonfly tarps cost nearly as much as I paid for my boat, frame, oars and a cooler.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdking View Post
Quote:
I'm sure their tarps are nice. Myself and I suspect others on this thread are trying to leverage cost and quality to get a pretty good setup for a fair price. Some of those dragonfly tarps cost nearly as much as I paid for my boat, frame, oars and a cooler.
They are $650...and have many of the same issues that people are complaining about in this thread like they don't come with poles or stakes for that price. The warranty isn't much different from Luxes either.

You could buy six of the Batwing or 5 of the Big Agnes tarps for the same price as the Dragonfly stuff. I get it...someone is trying to provide a service and make a living...but I will never be able to justify spending that much on a tarp especially when it doesn't come with the support stuff. I'm sure people are happy with their stuff...but to me they are unreasonably expensive.

I like the silver reflective coating on the Luxe wings too... seems to be a great lightweight remedy to the shade problem. I think that alone would be enough to decide to get one if I was in the market for a Tarp right now.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #28

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I merely wanted to add to the discussion. I don’t have a dragonfly and use Costco tarps with paracord reinforcement webbing between the grommets to distribute the weight to the cord and not the tarp. They last about a year before one rips out. And I keep it up in my back yard most of the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CD64302-5472-4C1E-AA70-B73398FEAEFD_1579129070794.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	41731  
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #29

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have only one problem with the Luxe batwing tarp. They have a terrible warranty and return policy.
Is this based off first hand experience or what you're seeing online?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #30

Jenks, Oklahoma
I check the Buzz probably once a day. Saw the initial post. Luxe has a very good web setup. I looked at it and sent in my order. The tarp came in late yesterday. I was looking for a light weight tarp mostly for canoe camping and sun protection. The white Luxe seemed to fit. The design is almost a copy of my Moss Outfitter Wing which has been used on more float trips than I can remember. I have the original big Moss Outfitter and the smaller Moss 16 ft wing. Outfitter for group chairs, smaller one for cook tarp. The thing about Moss is the fabric. Decades of hard use and both tarps still work almost like new. These tarps are heavy (not a problem on raft support). I use heavy duty poles, tie down rope, real sand stakes and iron regular stakes. Moss Tarps are big and western wind storms put big time stress on every thing. Plus, I dry out both ASAP after use. I never wait till the float is over to dry them at home. The Moss product is my standard for quality tarps (so far I have not found anything more durable for my use). But enough about Moss.

The Luxe material looks to me to be probably their tent fly stuff I do like the fabric tape reinforcement on the edges. First look is sewing is good. Fabric is light weight and I need to do some trips to see how it stands up. Material is about what I expected for a light weight tarp. I got the white tarp for sun protection. I have REI light weight poles and will use them. The stakes Luxe sends look to be the basic back pack tent style and I will not use them. Amazon sells a nice long set of aluminum snow stakes that I have been using for sand stakes. Should work well with this tarp on sand. WalMart sells a nail type stake that I have used for tents and just recently I found a longer pin version same brand that I will use on regular ground.

Here in Oklahoma it is winter time. We get most of our rain now. Winds roar in from either the Rockies or direct from the Arctic. With nothing much but fence wire to slow down wind from either direction, wind chill is brutal. So, actually using the Luxe is gonna have to wait for a break. I am retired and get to pick when I go on trips, making me a weather wimp where I used to go regardless of the expected weather.

First Bottom line is based on my first impressions out of the box, I like these tarps for shade.

Second Bottom line is Bighorn's comment on the warranty. Not being as smart a shopper as he is, I did not pre read the Luxe warranty. When I opened the shipping box I got a paper statement on warranty. I will not repeat every thing except a few lines. To be eligible for return, your item must unopened (never used/setup indoors or outdoors)........etc etc. Next sentence goes It must also be in the original packaging.

This is not (in my opinion) a reasonable warranty to me as a customer. My guess is it makes sense to Luxe. It does not give me a chance to inspect the product by at least opening the shipping box and doing a test setup.

Had I done what Bighorn did and read the warranty, I would never have made my order. This would have ended up with a no sale to Luxe and possibly me not finding my ideal river sun tarp.

After looking at the Luxe Web Site, I am very interested in their hot tent models. Not going to take a chance on getting a defect and not being able to return it. I wish Luxe would review their warranty to give me as a customer a chance to inspect the product while giving Luxe some protection from customers who want to cheat. I am not a warranty cheater but am a gear collector who believes that the more we boat the more toys we need.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote