Has anyone had experience with the Luxe Batwing? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-12-2020   #11

Jenks, Oklahoma
I am one of the lucky ones who got both sizes Moss originals. This was decades ago.

Believe it or not, I took care of them and they still work great.

Moss Tarps are designed to handle the wind up and over. Many have attempted to copy Moss few have done it right. Quality of material and sewing is key. My experience has been if I keep the tarp set up with low side into the wind close to the ground and a tight pitch, they work great.

Stakes tho and ropes have to be strong - I learned parachute cord is only for light wind. I use real sand stakes on sand bars and iron long stakes for regular ground.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
Thanks for the link Mr. Nichols. My plan was to hang the tarp off my oars to help keep the amount of crap I carry halfway under control.

If these things are built as well as as it sounds like their tents are I think these could become standard rafting gear along with a roll a table and others.

Most welcome. Oars are a great substitute, but here's a little tip. Have your local seamperson sew a couple loops of webbing in the ends at the peak, that fit over your oar handles but not the shafts. Most tarps were designed for poles, with brass grommets, hard to keep an oar in the correct spot without the loops.

I do wish someone would buy one of these and give a report...
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the link Mr. Nichols. My plan was to hang the tarp off my oars to help keep the amount of crap I carry halfway under control.

If these things are built as well as as it sounds like their tents are I think these could become standard rafting gear along with a roll a table and others.

Most welcome. Oars are a great substitute, but here's a little tip. Have your local seamperson sew a couple loops of webbing in the ends at the peak, that fit over your oar handles but not the shafts. Most tarps were designed for poles, with brass grommets, hard to keep an oar in the correct spot without the loops.

I was thinking of tieing knots in the guy lines to go around the oar handles, I like your idea of sewing loops it sound easier to setup and more elegant.
I have put wheels into motion to exchange my Noah's tarp for a bat wing.

For those of you who have used tarps similar in size to this are the 12" aluminum surplus sand stakes sufficient to hold up the ends of the structure? I'd imagine they are plenty for the rest of the guy lines.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14

Jenks, Oklahoma
I ordered a batwing and it is in transit to Oklahoma.

I am looking for a very light weight tarp to set up for canoe floats. I like the look of the unit on the web page.

Soon as the tarp arrives I will report back.

They have some neat looking hot tents on the web pages as well.

dave
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15

Billings, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
luxe tarp

I donít own a Luxe tarp, so I canít really offer an opinion on them, they look decent, and may be great tarps. I would like to point out a couple of issues. First, the website says they are not seam sealed. That means you have to buy a tube of seam sealer and do it yourself. Personally, I prefer to have my tarps sealed by the factory. Second, you have to pay the shipping, which increases the cost. Third, you donít get any poles. I use oars on my tarp when I boat, but for regular camping I use poles. That will set you back 30-40 dollars, depending on what you get. If you get a tarp, you will be surprised how often you use it off the river. Lastly, it doesnít have much in the way of guy lines and stakes, which will cost you more.

Over on the REI outlet, there is a Big Agnes Deep Creek tarp for sale for $174. When you factor in all the items I just mentioned, that is about the same as the Luxe tarp. I have seen the Big Agnes, and it seems like a decent tarp. I donít know how strong the fabric is. If this makes a difference to you, there is also a bug house that can be paired with it. This is just an example. If you shop around, you will find most tarps on sale from time to time. There isnít any rush to buy a tarp in January. Unfortunately, the lowest prices are usually in November and December. Last month you could have got a Nemo shadowcaster tarp for $147. They have a really stout ripstop fabric, but sort of a funky shape.

A couple of other tarp items. I agree that in severe wind with soft soil, you need about 4-6 sand stakes to hold your tarp, if you canít find large logs or stones. It is relatively easy to buy aluminum angle and cut and drill it to make big stakes that nest and donít take too much room. Just pound them in with a cheap plastic hammer. For regular soil I prefer the army surplus stakes that were for the army camoflage nets. They are 12 inches long, light, and donít corrode. You can get them on Ebay for about a dollar a piece if you order a decent quantity. There is also an army stake bag, which you can find for a couple of dollars that keeps your dirty stakes from making a mess.

If you want to use your oars as poles on a tarp with just grommet holes get a 3 foot length of cord that will pass through the grommet hole, (usually a ľ inch) tie a girth hitch around the oar handle, then pass one end of the cord through the grommet hole and tie it off to the other end. I keep several of these cords in the bag with my tarp.
KrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
If you plan on using oar to prop it up, this might help. On my Noah's tarp I added some larger split rings (key ring) to the guy line loops that were large enough to fit over an oar handle. This allows you to attache the oar to the tarp and then tie the guy lines to that. Works great and adds some flexibility to the tarp and you do not have to use the light weight short poles that they come with.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post

To avoid sewing you can just add large split rings (key rings), you can get them from you local hardware store. They will thread into the existing loops and you can fit them over the oar handle. No modifications and they can be added and removed with no issues.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
FWIW, I have the Big Agnes, and while it sets up pretty well (even in relatively stout wind when dug in with a deadman) since they are light in color and unlined, they don't stay as cool as a darker tarp, and mine, unless set up with a ridgeline, will sag a little in the middle due to the cut.

YMMV
-Thomas
Fruita, CO
T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Mac View Post
FWIW, I have the Big Agnes, and while it sets up pretty well (even in relatively stout wind when dug in with a deadman) since they are light in color and unlined, they don't stay as cool as a darker tarp, and mine, unless set up with a ridgeline, will sag a little in the middle due to the cut.

YMMV
-Thomas
Fruita, CO

I've never owned a wing, wanted a Moss outfitter model, but they were bought by MSR and the quality suffered, a lot. I guess my point being, that having set them up, ones that others owned, I found that there's a point where you settle for good enough rather than futz with the guy lines for an hour trying to get a sag or wrinkle out of it..

Seam Sealing, while a pain isn't that hard to do, yes, factory tape is nice, and the big agnes models you spoke of are pretty much a wash once you factor in all the things you mentioned.

Good discussion, I never thought about using split rings, GOOD CALL
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have only one problem with the Luxe batwing tarp. They have a terrible warranty and return policy.