Hanging a raft in garage - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-09-2019   #1
OC1Rolls

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
Hanging a raft in garage

Hey Buzzards!
Anyone have a slick design to hang a raft off the ceiling of a garage? I have a 15.6 Aire and an electric winch. I'd like to be able to drop it down on my flatbed trailer when I take it out on trips.
I have exposed 2x6 studs and 12" I Joist on the ceiling. Total weight can be about 250lbs but would ideally be 400lbs. Thoughts?

OC1Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Ceiling height?
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019   #3
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
The guy I bought my raft from had rigged up a lift in his garage. The platform was plywood. It was suspended from the corners, and I am pretty sure it had some structural pieces around the perimeter. The haul line went up to a pulley that went across the ceiling and down to a winch mounted on the wall. He operated the winch with a cordless drill.

This doesn't work for what you want, though, unless you have a way to get the platform out from under the raft once it's on the trailer.

But wait!

Back the trailer up to ALMOST where the platform is, then lower the platform to just at or below the level of the trailer, then use the trailer winch and roller to roll the boat off the platform and onto the trailer. Getting it back on the trailer would be a little more trouble, but you could just lower the platform farther and shove the raft off as if it were at a launch ramp.

Too early for me to have these silly ideas, but good luck.
Will Amette is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
make a platform--12' x 8' would be about right. One rope at each corner to a pulley above it. Bring all four ropes to the winch, or combine them to a single line that spools on your winch.

Alternate to the platform, use your raft frame, inverted.

For pics, Google, "Top gun inverted" :P
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019   #5

We have a ceiling mounted winch which we attach to raft frame with rolled up raft on top and store above garage door.

We have eye bolts at each corner of where it goes on ceiling- so once it's up we hook into those so the weight doesn't sit on the winch at all times.

We did it with our deck underneath that bolts onto our dirtbike trailer to turn it into a "raft" trailer - but we were not happy with that much weight up there over the car. It did work though. Hauled from each corner. Then attached to back ups.

Our deck is really heavy though- because we kept having to add reinforcements.

Our initial goal was to store inflated but we have a beam across the garage that meant we do not have enough height above the garage door for this.

ETA we first did a similar set up for removing camper top from truck- and found the eye bolts were a weak point when one came flying out of the wall at an extremely fast speed. So- that was our concern with the weight that the winch or the eye bolts would pull out of where they were mounted.
kayakingkate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019   #6
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
I'm finishing up my new garage and contemplating the same thing.

I've been thinking about a frame with rollers. Back the trailer up to the door, roll the boat onto the winch frame, and crank it up. For an empty boat and frame I think a 1" box tube platform with EMT rollers will be plenty strong enough. I have a welder so I can do it all myself.

It needs to be both easy to use and dead nuts reliable so that my wife can do it herself if I'm not around. For the cool factor, I'm thing about multi-parting it with rope and then tying the loose end off to a dock cleat.

I have 9' ceilings and am thinking that I can get away with 16" from the ceiling with the boat mostly deflated, but still with enough air to avoid any hard creases. I run a Maravia and no one likes trying to try and roll one of them up tight.

It lives on the trailer in the summers so my design is really only for winter storage. I may be overthinking it though and just use the frame to lay the loosely folded boat on and be done with it. I already have too many projects with grand designs going on...
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019   #7

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I store my 10.5 RMR storm above my 156R. Granted this boat is smaller and lighter. I just used 2 cross beam 2x4's and then 2 1x4 runners that are right under the tubes. I have eye bolts on each end of the cross beams. the boat is so light i have not put it on a pulley and winch system. I do plan on running a line up to a pulley from each eye bolt and then to one solid line that will be on a wall mounted winch. I want to build a new shop with 12' rafters and will have this for the big boat, but probable a steel frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_153220.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	32787  
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019   #8
OC1Rolls

Salt Lake City, Utah
Shed style roof. The roof of bay is a 2/12 pitch. 12ft on one side to about 15ft
Old 01-10-2019   #9
OC1Rolls

Salt Lake City, Utah
Nice! Thanks for the pic. I too would like to do a wall mounted winch possible between the 2x6 studs. My concern is pulling downward on the I Joists with that much weight.
Old 01-10-2019   #10
OC1Rolls

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
make a platform--12' x 8' would be about right. One rope at each corner to a pulley above it. Bring all four ropes to the winch, or combine them to a single line that spools on your winch.

Alternate to the platform, use your raft frame, inverted.

For pics, Google, "Top gun inverted" :P
I googled it like a fool haha. Well played. thanks for the simple design suggestion. I'm concerned with attaching the pullies to the I joist. It may need more reinforcement.