Hand-held cordless winch for trailer - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-04-2015   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Hand-held cordless winch for trailer

The other trailer winch thread on this page has gotten me thinking about other options if there's no room or good mounting point on a trailer for a winch.

Has anyone used a hand-held winch, with the other end attached to some fixed point on truck or something else, such as this Warn Pulz-all?

Only downside might be pretty short wire rope at 15' but could easily add more then remove it as raft is pulled up onto trailer.

WARN PullzAll Handheld Electric Pulling Tool Red, 120 Volt, Model# 885000 | AC Powered Winches| Northern Tool + Equipment

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
that is a corded 120v winch. - I use an ATV winch to pull my cat up (the cordless remote makes it handy so I can operate it from the back of the trailer.)
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #3

Sorry. Copied the wrong link.

Here's the cordless one:

WARN PullzAll Handheld Cordless Pulling Tool Red, 24 Volt, Model# 885005 | 1,000 - 2,900 Lb. Capacity Winches| Northern Tool + Equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015   #4

Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
2-3 yrs back I got a winch from Harbor Freight that hooks to a battery. It mounts to a ball mount so I just added an extra one to the back of my suburban. I would use it to augmented pulling my raft onto the trailer when I was just me and my young kids. I would never try just using the winch given the stress it would place on D ring but it gave me the extra pull I needed. Now I have a lower profile trailer and my kids are bigger so no longer use it. I dropped it a while back and cracked the plastic casing quite a bit but if you want it try and fix it up it is yours. Just PM me.
12V Power In, Power Out Winch - 3000 Lb. Capacity
fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #5
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Have you considered a smaller boat?
Old 03-05-2015   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
Have you considered a smaller boat?
And miss the opportunity to buy more gear? I'm a rafter now. Why would I want to do that?
Old 03-05-2015   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
NEWS FLASH

Mail just delivered a brand new Cascade Outfitters catalog just crammed with old and new boating goodies
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015   #8

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
And miss the opportunity to buy more gear? I'm a rafter now. Why would I want to do that?
True that, and it's more expensive gear that seems to last longer as well, but back in my kayaking days, I never seemed to miss an opportunity to buy a new kayak from Jessie Withamore, Jim Snyder or the tupperware boat mfg when a new model came out.... or a new paddle....or a new....
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
tmacc

good to see some one who remembers those squirt boat pioneers.

Jim and New Wave built me a Big Foot back in the day plus a couple of plastic kayaks. One of my most prized possessions is one of his hand made JimiStiks.

We lost an industry leader when New Wave stopped big time production. Altho I did check with them some years ago and they will do custom glass work.

Jim is still very active, Jesse I have not seen much posted from him for years.

Those two gentlemen were doing the rodeo moves way back there when most of us thought a pirouette was hot stuff.

good memories for sure from reading your post
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015   #10

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Dave. Not to high jack the tread too much, but the Wilderness Systems Ferrier was my all time favorite river running kayak. Not something I would take down the Green or Upper B, but a great boat for the Upper Yough and Upper Gauley. Surfing at Rocky Island on the Potomac. Good times.

Had my share of squirt boats as well. Big Foot rings a bell.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote