Halkey Roberts old long body air valve pump adapter - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-28-2017   #1
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Halkey Roberts old long body air valve pump adapter

Hello, I have an old Aire raft (from the 80's) that has the old Halkey Roberts long air valves (the male end must be 1 1/8" that inserts into the air valve) and I cannot find the adapter for my air pump hose end that is long enough. The old short body version is everywhere (7/8 on the male end that inserts into the air valve) but I need the long-body version adapter for my pump that is 1 1/8 long that fits into the air valve.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Bart

Yobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-28-2017   #2
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 508
I am almost sure NRS used to sell them recently but don't see them on the site anymore but I would call them. I have an old NRS Otter that uses the short but ended up with a long somehow and may still have it if you can't find one let me know.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017   #3
 
arkriverrat's Avatar
 
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 132
Hi Bart,
I have the profile modeled as I am making new caps for these valves and could have an adapter made up, but it would probably cost more than it is worth. Our pump just has a piece of hose, I believe it is just a short piece of PVC hose attached to it, probably less than $2.00 at a hardware store, that friction fits into the valve body for filling. I would probably go that route myself, way cheaper, more durable, and just as effective. I would be happy to get the ID/OD of the hose I am talking about it you want. If you need any replacement caps, or would like a custom fill adapter, let me know!
SYOTR,
Tim
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-02-2017   #4
 
laramie, wy
Paddling Since: 2010
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 80
Can someone explain why valve adapters are necessary? I have never had a problem filling up my old Aire Cougar with an air mattress pump and EZ pump to top off. Do they make it that much easier?
Kirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017   #5
 
arkriverrat's Avatar
 
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirks View Post
Can someone explain why valve adapters are necessary? I have never had a problem filling up my old Aire Cougar with an air mattress pump and EZ pump to top off. Do they make it that much easier?
Having a tight fit, and the nozzle held in place is nice, as you can do other things while your electric pump is filling. Barrel pumps are a 2 man job if the nozzle will not stay in the valve on its own. However as I mentioned above, I prefer a piece of hose that will friction fit into the valve as opposed to an actual adapter. K pumps are different because they don't need a hose. Sounds like an adapter wouldn't help you at all, but other pump types/styles definitely work better with some type of filing adapter.
Cheers!
Tim
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #6
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
I am almost sure NRS used to sell them recently but don't see them on the site anymore but I would call them. I have an old NRS Otter that uses the short but ended up with a long somehow and may still have it if you can't find one let me know.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Bart
Yobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #7
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkriverrat View Post
Hi Bart,
I have the profile modeled as I am making new caps for these valves and could have an adapter made up, but it would probably cost more than it is worth. Our pump just has a piece of hose, I believe it is just a short piece of PVC hose attached to it, probably less than $2.00 at a hardware store, that friction fits into the valve body for filling. I would probably go that route myself, way cheaper, more durable, and just as effective. I would be happy to get the ID/OD of the hose I am talking about it you want. If you need any replacement caps, or would like a custom fill adapter, let me know!
SYOTR,
Tim
Hello Tim,

Thanks for the advice - I will try your technique and see how I do. Happy rafting!

Bart
Yobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halkey Roberts Long Stem Valve Caps arkriverrat Whitewater Rafting 38 10-21-2018 09:52 PM
Halkey Roberts Valves for 1994 NRS raft jessekinsman Rafting | Gear Talk 8 05-03-2017 02:24 PM
Tips on removing Halkey Roberts 780 relief valve ohioboater Rafting | Gear Talk 4 07-25-2016 07:44 AM
Halkey Roberts Torque Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics 2 10-08-2015 03:37 PM
Freshening up a Roberts Halkey valve? hans747 Kayaking | Gear Talk 12 07-14-2011 09:28 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.