So my fiancÚ and I are experienced paddle rafters (having both guided commercially for a number of years) and have some limited rowing experience. We recently picked up a frame for our 14' NRS Revolution, and I've got some questions; excuse the gumby-ness, I'm just not all that familiar with rowing gear. Anyway, here goes:
1. Is it vital to re-sleeve my Carlisle oars if the plastic is peeling off the shafts? I've seen the threads here on how to do this, but I'm wondering what the penalty is if I don't do it.
2.The frame is pretty clearly a repurposed cat frame, but as far as I can tell it fits the boat well enough to do the job. Am I wrong?
3. The crossbars that hold the seat look to have 3 holes drilled in each side; my thought was that this was to run snap pins through to lock this part in place instead of the hose clamps that are currently on it, which I guess would let me break the frame down even further. If that's the case, do I just drill the bar this runs over in the same spots and put three pins per side? Am I misunderstanding the purpose here?
4. Similar question, but for the oar towers?
5. The frame also came with these brackets, apparently for mounting the seat adjustably. Best way to make that work if anyone has any ideas?
6. Any ideas who made this frame? Is it pieced together from other frames and random parts, or manufactured?
7. Any thoughts on whether I can replace the pins and clips with oar locks based on what you can see in these pics?
Thanks all, sorry for the long post, and appreciate any insights.