Guide Paddle. NRS PT vs Carlisle - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-29-2014   #1

West Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Guide Paddle. NRS PT vs Carlisle

I'm thinking about getting a guide paddle for my small 10" raft. Any input on which would be better?

The Carlisle guide paddle has more surface area (8x27") compared to the NRS PT (7.75x20").

I don't understand how or why the NRS guide paddle actually is smaller in width than the standard Carlisle paddle (8x20") (the non-guide paddle).
In my head I would think that guide paddles should have more surface area for more power for steering.. or is it the length of the paddle that really helps out?
Thanks

Dan007CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014   #2

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
In that small of a boat, you won't need one of those massive elbow breaker Carlisle Guide Sticks. The large paddle face combined with the increased shaft thickness can create a LOT of torque. That will do damage to your elbow and shoulder in a short period of time.

Length helps out when using the pry stroke, and with taller drivers. If you pry like me(off the boat and hip), then the longer the shaft, the greater the fulcrum output.

My experience and heart is with the $45 Carlisle Outfitter Paddle(7.5" W x 21.5" L). That paddle is the cheapest of decent quality Carlisle makes IMO, and come swim time I don't like to worry about expensive paddles. Looks like Caviness makes the same paddle but for $31 on theboatpeople.com.

My $0.02... Go with the NRS PT over the Carlisle Guide Stick if you must spend $70. If you want to worry less about donating a paddle to the river, get the Outfitter Paddle or Caviness.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #3

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Get a Werner. Period.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014   #4

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like to use the ones I find on the side of the river. you know the ones who have some outfitters name on it, look like they spent the winter in a strainer and smell like rookie.
calirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Yep, use the standard Carlisle paddle. Guide paddles are silly.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #6

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Basic axiom of paddles is you never lose a cheap ugly paddle, only nice and expensive ones. I have ugly Carlisle that have now survived decades.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #7

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
For a small raft like a 10 foot boat, go with a 60" standard Carlisle paddle. The guide stick is wayyyyy to much for a small private raft.

If you are guiding a bigger boat (13'+) with more weight, go with the 66" guide stick ( see my profile pic.). 72" if you are guiding a boat 18 or 20 feet long (like an Ottawa bus!)

If you want a custom paddle made in USA get a Norse (stiffer than Werner)

Norse Paddle Company LLC ยป High Quality and Durable Compression Molded Composite Boating Paddles
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #8
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
The Carlisle Guide paddle is a LARGE paddle. Way to much for a small boat. You will loose a nice guide stick if you buy it, and you might be more worried about your paddle than you should be about yourself, your friends or your boat. Or, you will break it and be bummed. Stick with standard paddles. I have a buddy that swears by outfitter paddles and claims he has never owned a paddle in his life, he says he only borrows them. Something to be said about being able to pick up any paddle and just use it.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
The Carlisle Guide paddle is a LARGE paddle. Way to much for a small boat. You will loose a nice guide stick if you buy it, and you might be more worried about your paddle than you should be about yourself, your friends or your boat. Or, you will break it and be bummed. Stick with standard paddles. I have a buddy that swears by outfitter paddles and claims he has never owned a paddle in his life, he says he only borrows them. Something to be said about being able to pick up any paddle and just use it.
Couldn't agree more.

Short Answer:
Get a Werner, if you must have a guide stick.

Long and Complicated Answer:
Over the last five years of guiding, I've only ever used the same paddles we give to our customers. If I were to get a "guide stick", it would never be a carlisle, and the NRS blade you mentioned didn't hold up for a whole season for a fellow guide. My first instinct would be for Werner, and if I wanted something that looked really good, and not break the bank, a Sawyer. If money was no object, I would make a call to 'ol Jim Snyder and get something that would last a lifetime and look and feel amazing.

If you feel you need a guide stick to help in handling your 10' raft, I would say your money is better spent taking a class. If you just want your own stick that looks great, then Werner, Sawyer, or Snyder are great choices.

FWIW
boonekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #10

West Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks all. The problem I was having is with the size raft I have.. really only fits 4. So while I steer.. there is 1 person on the left vs 2 people on the right which normally turns the raft constantly. I figured if I had a little more power I could keep it straight more.
Dan007CT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carlisle