Guide mobiles? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-05-2015   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Guide mobiles?

Wondering what you guides are using for live in vehicles. My family use to own a 90s Chevy van that had some nice features like fold down back bench seat and window blinds. Can't remember the model though. I am not apposed to tent camping, but thought I would look into it.

Thanks

Steve

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I just picked up a 2002 Dodge Ram Van 1500 with 82,000 miles. It's a conversion van by Sherry, it has nice lighting in the ceiling and hardwood accents...lots of bells and whistles. I also grew up roadtripping and car camping in my grandfather's 85 E-150, so I have a fondness for vans not shared by everyone. I bought mine of craigslist for cheap and it's totally mint for being 13 years old.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #3

Cave Creek, Arizona
That looks sweet.

Vans get a bad rep, but they are just so useful. I wish old VW buses weren't so expensive. People want crazy money for ones that are rusted and don't run.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
vw's are sweet but these domestic vans are cheap to buy and parts are so much cheaper than the Volkswagens. Mine is the shortest wheelbase version 1500 and is about the same size as the eurobus. With the 3.9 v6 it gets about 17 on the highway. I'm pretty happy so far...this van cost me less than a new super puma!
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #5

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
American vans also go more than 25 mph uphill. I lived out of a Chevy conversion van for a while. Loved it. Got 16-18 mpg, carried all my band gear minus the drum set (could fit but took up my bed area) and made a sweet green room. Lots of van by the river jokes of course. They are basically built on a 1/2 ton truck chassis.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #6

A friend of mine has a Toyota Sienna minivan he uses for car camping. It hit 300k miles a couple years ago and is still going strong. The rear seats are removable, although you'd need somewhere to store them if you ever intend to put them back in.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #7

I got interested and started googling, and there are lots of people with some really sweet minivan setups out there. It looks like a whole subculture. Some of the newer minivans also have "stow-and-go" seating that folds down into the floor, so it's easy to swap back and forth too. Good stuff.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Loved my '76 VW Westfalia bus once I got to my destination, but driving sure sapped my will to live at times -- it required constant attention at the wheel. However, it was one of the few vehicles I made money on -- sold it for about $5k more than I bought it for after owning it for about 7 years.
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #9

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I lived out of the back of an Explorer for a few summers. My F-150 was quite a bit more functional, though. Hard to tell here because I have all kinds of shit everywhere, but the deck is carpeted and is easily wide enough for 2 pacos. Have power and light in there, and the stove goes in the front of the left drawer for easy morning access. The drawers go all the way back and roll pretty easily. More storage along the sides by the wheel wells.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	958.7 KB
ID:	10666
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lived in a mitchell truck camper for a while, then later a 70's forest service trailer. Extra van seats from one guides home make a good couch in a camp trailer, with added bonus of
buckling seat belt for watching movies, or incase things get to intence. Don't forget the palace of the raft guide world, the old school bus!