Groover, Area Set Up - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2013   #1
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Groover, Area Set Up

O.K. so after the great hose explosion of 2011 I learned to tell the kids not to put 1/2 rolls of t.p. in the groover they have listened to that one and still comply.
Now how do I handle the ladies and their femine hygine products. Even after asking for them not to put in the tampons and and pads they still do. Should I buy yet another ammo can line it with a platic bag and make a sign that says put your femine hygine products here? I had such a lovley groover dump session that I had to wait a while before posting this due to the sheer complete shitshow that happened (no pun intended). So how do you all handle it?

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013   #2

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What groover are you using? I have an ecosafe, and have never had any problems of any kind in +15 years with it. I also use groover tamer as directed, and never have anything left but flowing sludge at the end.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #3
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Eco safe, I use tamer, and the blue stuff. Top it off with water before dumping it. It was the first time I had this happen due to newbies using the groover.
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
You must have an unruly or perhaps inattentive bunch of gals on your trip. We are usually about 50/50 guys to gals on our trips. At the first camp we have what we lovingly call "potty training." We go over groover placement, use, occupied vs unoccupied groover signal, TP issues, peeing in the groover issues, Feminine hygiene product etiquette, deodorizer use, etc. We provide a container for FH products, and have so far not had a problem. If we have newbies on the trip, we make sure they understand how things work, and the dire consequences that happen when they don't follow the rules, such as a broken scat machine, or groover disaster. We put the fear of God into them, and most times make the newbies assist with the RV dump/scat machine fun. They are much more apt to follow the rules if they know that the "Poo Disaster" will be on them at the end of the trip if they mess up.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #5

Castle Rock, Colorado
I actually add a little fresh water (not much, 1/2 a cup maybe) every day with the tamer, right on top of the powder after I drop it in, it seems to need it. I also tell the femmes to go ahead and pee in the groover, that also seems to help, and doesn't add all that much to volume. I have to believe all that combined with sun and agitation can dissolve anything. Maybe there are special bio-degradable femme products? Good luck laying down the rules on that issue. Check back if you survive.
Old 07-26-2013   #6

Everett, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
Eco safe, I use tamer, and the blue stuff. Top it off with water before dumping it. It was the first time I had this happen due to newbies using the groover.
We just are very specific when we do our first campsite set up. Then keep a small garbage bag right next to the groover just for feminine hygiene products.

If you don't get 100% buy in take a new tampon, put it water and show them how big it gets and then how hard it is for a machine (SCAT) to tear it up and explain that it will clog the works.
RASIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
What cataraftgirl said. Lay down the law. If you're not already doing so, use RV specific TP. Wallyworld's usually have an RV section with it in stock as well as about 2 dozen different groover chemicals to choose from. Some even come in dissolving little blister packs - super convenient. I looked at these and thought they'd be fun to shoot with a slingshot at groover rule offenders...redneck paintball.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #8

Louisville, Colorado
Providing a place to dispose of feminine hygeine products is a very good idea. Most the ladies I go on the river with know how to menstruate inthe woods, but on a newbie trip I always personally pull the ladies aside and tell them not to put that stuff in the groover and not to toss it in the bushes either. I even tell them where there are extra baggies so that when the groover and trash aren't available they have some placed to put the used products. Personally, I'd rather have it in the groover than in the bushes!
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #9

Castle Rock, Colorado
Interesting and informative. Why do you use a scat machine to dump? I hook up my big drain hose, connect some water to the small inlet port, and tip it on its side with the hose down in the dump station porthole. If you've got a different system, and I would love to hear about it, even if I never use it. This isn't a topic that gets discussed much.
Old 07-26-2013   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Why even use an RV dump? I use the grate that says "drains to stream"