Denver, Colorado
Groover

Bought an eco-safe groover, got two ammo cans,
Product Page | Down River Equipment Company
is the one I have.

What else should I add?
Planning on kitchen rubber gloves, size xs so there are some that fit my wife
It has the 3" hose and adapter.

I haven't cleaned a groover in 20 years and that involved handing it to someone else who did it as it was getting dark and they said it was easier to do than to watch a rookie do it.

I don't yet have any chemicals, what's your favorite.
I feel like I read somewhere that a section of garden hose was worthwhile.
I plan on stopping at RV parks on the way home.

Please enlighten me as to how best clean one and make it as painless and odor free as possible.

I appreciate it
Jon

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Good things for the second rocket include: The seat, t.p. hand sanitizer, gloves, possibly handy wipes for cleaning the seat ( make sure there is some sort of trash receptacle for these, they will clog the hose) groover deodorant?

Open the small cap first, that the drain hose connects to, and screw that on first. Remove the tiny cap which the garden hose connects to second, ALWAYS second( the pressure can blow shit in your face, ask me how I know!) connect the garden hose with the supplied fitting. Dump the groover, turn on the hose SLOWLY, turn up to full pressure nice and easy, and let the water blast the crap out of it.

Store the drain house in the plastic jar usually provided.
I have been liking some wood ash in place of deodorant when practical, does a better job I think, requires a dry groover, ad water on the last day to make a nice "poo stew".

Should be able to find ton's of highly opinionated advice on groover care by doing a search.

Oh, and don't put off dumping, then who knows how long you will end up waiting, you'll be planning a trip and realize you have a shit slushy in there!
Old 03-12-2016   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Coat the inside with cooking spray before each trip. Get a large empty Kraft Parmesan cheese container and fill with 1/2 baking powder and 1/2 powdered laundry soap. Shake Kraft container a little when your done with your business. Top off with water before getting off river to make poo stew. After dumping and flushing I add water to almost the top and a cup of bleach for the trip home. Dump when home, set in sun without lid for a couple of days. After it is dry toss in a bunch of cedar saw dust and seal. Before next trip put saw dust in your compost pile.
That works for me pretty well.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016   #4

Ridgway, Colorado
Thanks Bighorn!
I've had an EcoSafe for years and never had a good regimen!
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
You need to put some reading material in your second box. Weakly World News was always a favorite. If you have ladies along........cut all the pictures out of a Playboy and toss that in the box. Farmers Almanac is another favorite
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016   #6

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I just saw I wrote baking powder. I meant to say Arm and Hammer laundry soda.
If I have time I take one bar of Ivory soap and shave it, put in a blender with one cup of soda and one cup of borax than blend. Don't get caught by your wife, they just don't understand. Keep cover on blender till done.
Old 03-13-2016   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Two six food straps for cleaning one strap around ammo can and Eco safe to keep container in ammo can the other strap around ammo can handle. Stand back hold strap and tip groover with foot using strap and foot shake poop out. Hard to explain wish I had a picture but this is how I've figured to be as far away as possible.
Old 03-13-2016   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
You need to put some reading material in your second box. Weakly World News was always a favorite. If you have ladies along........cut all the pictures out of a Playboy and toss that in the box. Farmers Almanac is another favorite
Toss the pictures in the box?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
NorthernAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016   #9

Clarno, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
1). Two holes in the 9 and 3 o'clock position of the toilet seat with a nrs strap. This will secure the seat to the vault and provide a secure throne to enjoy.
2). On the FINAL morning of the trip when the groover is being loaded on the boat for the final paddle out fill the remainder of the vault with water. Between the paddle out and the road trip home the water will turn the vault into a shit shake and it will pour out the hose. It makes it so easy and fast to clean it.
3). Make sure you have a good location and view for the groover !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Willc is offline   Reply With Quote