GPS - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-15-2014   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
GPS

REI has a pretty good price on the Garmin Oregon 600 GPS ($250.00). The most recent Amazon reviews are not that good. Just wondering if any of you have experience with this device or maybe can recommend a better unit.
Yes I did use the search bar but all that info is fairly old now as it seems opinions change rapidly with tech stuff. Thanks for any help.

Jim

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014   #2

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
I just picked up the etrek 30 for $299 at sportsmans warehouse and the western states mapping package. Pretty happy with it so far. It has a toggle, not a touch screen, which I think will work better with gloved hands.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 11-15-2014   #3

Fort Collins
I'll second the e-trex series, the 20 works well for my backpacking, hunting, geocaching and boating needs. For the same price range as the oregon sale, the etrex bundle comes with maps. I also recomend using the garmin base camp software and the caribiner clip accessory.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
DeLorme Inreach Explorer. Good enough as a GPS and you can communicate with it! I find for river running, simple GPS devices are best as long as they have a speedometer, an odometer, and a line to represent your route.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
I have a gramin oregon 450t works great! Eats batteries. but thats the same for em all.
Fltwtr-risntrotR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_bjread View Post
I'll second the e-trex series, the 20 works well for my backpacking, hunting, geocaching and boating needs. For the same price range as the oregon sale, the etrex bundle comes with maps. I also recomend using the garmin base camp software and the caribiner clip accessory.
I don't hike, backpack, hunt, or geocache......just river running and kayak touring. Would the Etrex 10 work well enough for my needs, or would I be best with the Etrex 20? I don't want to spend a ton of money on a GPS, but want one that works for my needs and is simple to use. Got that 20% off REI coupon sitting here staring at me
Old 11-16-2014   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Hey Cataraftgirl,
Try this link for a comparison of features between the different models. Garmin eTrex GPS Comparison | Differnces between eTrex GPS units - GPS Central Canada

Besides the difference between being black and white or color, the ability to download maps and add an sds card is enough for me to go with the 20 over the 10. If you are not going to use that feature, then I'd go with the 10..... due to my luck with electronics in the wilderness. The 10 would be more for following your progress, speed and such on the river. The 20 you could set up the trip before you go....in color.....and track your progress more accurately with maps that don't come preloaded.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Hey Cataraftgirl,
Try this link for a comparison of features between the different models. Garmin eTrex GPS Comparison | Differnces between eTrex GPS units - GPS Central Canada

Besides the difference between being black and white or color, the ability to download maps and add an sds card is enough for me to go with the 20 over the 10. If you are not going to use that feature, then I'd go with the 10..... due to my luck with electronics in the wilderness. The 10 would be more for following your progress, speed and such on the river. The 20 you could set up the trip before you go....in color.....and track your progress more accurately with maps that don't come preloaded.
Thanks. Great info for comparison. Looks like the 20 has a lot more capabilities that I may use a some point.
Old 11-16-2014   #9

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I have the Oregon 500, been using it for 6 years of river, mountains, and biking with no problems. My main grievance with the 500 is the sensitivity of the touch screen. I have gotten use to smart phone screens and the GPS is not even close. I would hope that they upgraded the screen. As mentioned before battery life is an issue, but if you do not keep the GPS in map view mode the battery life is much better, but I still go through 2 AAs per day on the river.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Backcountry navigator app with a smartphone in airplane mode is a low cost, surprising versatile solution.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
MikeSLC is offline   Reply With Quote