Good used raft for 2 people, lowish water? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-11-2009   #1

Good used raft for 2 people, lowish water?

So I'm thinking of getting a used raft in the 12 to 13 foot range. I was thinking a perfect scenario is a used Super Puma or similar. I'll be putting a frame on it for much of its use. Then I found this:

Quote:
Spring boating is around the corner! My Maravia New Wave is a self-bailing (Sotar floor) raft that comes with oar frame, oars, oar locks, Carlson barrel pump, and paddles! It has been well-used by a Klamath River outfitter, but still has plenty of life left. I take it on the Tuolumne, Merced, NF American rivers, but will be moving away from the Bay Area. It loses air very slowly - I end up topping it off once a day. Also, a D-ring needs to be replaced.
Pictures look good. How worried should I be about "losing air"? (Never owned a raft before, obviously). Any good questions to ask?

Thanks!

spdrcr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009   #2

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Are the baffles intact?
Any blown I-beams in the floor?
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It probably has many pinprick holes that are a pia to find all of them and seal. It all depends on what you really want and how much $. If it is just for occasional use and daytrips, you might be fine. But if you plan on overnighters, it can be a pain to have to pump up loaded. That and if you run bigger or harder water, you do not want a boat going soft on you.

I passed on a well used sotar that had many small holes. I was quoted $500 to $800 to have them patched by Eric in Swiss Vale. So instead of a $800 dollar boat plus $800 to get air worthy, I spent $2500 on a lightly used, near new boat with zero leaks or any real wear marks. You get what you pay for.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
Find out how old it is. Sounds like an old self bailer that someone put a Sotar floor in. I had an old Maravia I gave away because all the seams needed regluing. Pump it up and look the seams over real good. Use soap and water if possible. They blow from the inside out so the delamination will look like bubbles or high spots along the seams. If you buy it sight unseen.........you might be sorry. Good luck.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #5

Thanks for the info guys. That helps a lot. It does have one blown i beam in the floor. Sounds like maybe it's a little more used up than the $1900 asking price. I'll definitely try to put my eyes on it before buying.
Old 03-12-2009   #6

Bozeman, Montana
1900 for holy raft? pretty cheap if you ask me.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #7

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
1900 for holy raft? pretty cheap if you ask me.
You can buy a new Hyside Rio Bravo for about the same price as the leaky old boat... Though if it has been baptized maybe that ups the value?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
You should be able to find a good Hyside or Avon for that price. Can't go wrong with a used Vanguard or NRS either.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #9

Bozeman, Montana
jen im glad you caught that.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #10

Quote:
You should be able to find a good Hyside or Avon for that price. Can't go wrong with a used Vanguard or NRS either.
I'd like to think so, but I haven't found anything close. The 1900 includes an oar frame and oars, among other accessories. That makes the raft price ~1500.

There's a hyside on the classifieds here that I might check out too. It's further away though.

Tags
rafting