Good Desert Tent - windstorm "proof" - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2015   #1

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
Good Desert Tent - windstorm "proof"

Curious if anybody has a good recommendation for a tent that you can seal up from the wind/dust. Only options I have found are 4-season tents. Those are OK but they're typically heavy, expensive, harder to set up because more poles etc, and often have a long vestibule you have to crawl through which is a pain for an old fart lime me.

Anybody come up with something that you can cover all the mesh windows and other blown dust entry points that's a good fit for river trips?

semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015   #2

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have been very happy with my eurika equinox.

Eureka Equinox 6 Tent Reviews and Ratings

Three sides of the tent have big mesh openings with zippered covers on the interior plus a mesh vet at the top. I can set it up by myself with out too much effort and it is very stable in bad weather. Big enough for two roll-o-cots for my wife and self. In the desert I usually leave off the rain fly. They call it a '6 person' tent but I think it makes a roomy tent for two plus gear.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
How is your fabric holding out?

The review indicates that is a problem
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015   #4

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
Curious if anybody has a good recommendation for a tent that you can seal up from the wind/dust. ......
Hmmmmm.

I was on a fire on the Lincoln NF in NM, (Smokey's start was there).
Man did the wind blow.

Many had tent damage from the sand blowing into their zippers. They would have zipper races, people really like opening and closing things, and that would destroy zippers which are hard and therefore expensive to replace.

I can't give you a tent that will close up everything without suffocating those inside.
But I can recommend this for those that live in dusty windy places.

From Sierra Trading Post cheap, depending on what sale they have on today.

Clean your zipper with a wet wash cloth.

Spray with silicone or if desperate run some wax along it.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #5

Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I use a Sierra Designs 3-4 season convertible with lots of mesh panels that can be zipped shut to keep out sand if the wind is nukin. The model I have is called the Omega, but don't think they're making that one these days.

I think other tent makers offer tents with zip-close nylon panels/mesh too. I like SD because most of their tents are white, so you can set them up without the fly and they won't get super hot, then throw on the fly when weather comes in.
dgoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Alps Taurus 4

I don't like tents with lots of mesh on river trips, especially ones that need a fly for privacy. Ater looking around a bit at REI and other sources, I bought one of these last fall. Fairly inexpensive, easy to set up, roomy, seems stout enough and I like the zippers with big teeth.
Old 02-15-2015   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
The only time I would not recommend this tent is on a hot, still night. It is my go to tent for high wind(blowing sand), rain and snow. Seals up completely to keep out sand. Fast easy set up for one person. Ample room for one and gear or two friendly campers with very little gear inside.

REI Arete ASL 2 Tent - REI.com
Old 02-15-2015   #8

Redmond, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
I don't like tents with lots of mesh on river trips, especially ones that need a fly for privacy. Ater looking around a bit at REI and other sources, I bought one of these last fall. Fairly inexpensive, easy to set up, roomy, seems stout enough and I like the zippers with big teeth.
STP has that or very similar tent available for $90 TODAY.
Plus they say Extra 30% Off $100+ Use Keycode SITESUN215
Buy some better MSR stakes and the silicone to get that 100 discount ?????????

(THEY Change prices daily or every other day.
So don't read this tomorrow.

ALPS Mountaineering Summit Tent - 4-Person, 3-Season - Save 35% )

Any tent with a larger zipper is a plus in my book.
Can't speak for this one but that advice by Wadeinthewater sounds worth considering.
They show 54 reviews so you should get a good idea if this fits your needs.
Old 02-15-2015   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
I looked at the Summit, but the top mesh cannot be closed and the fly doesn't form a vestibule which is important in the sometimes rainy NW, so I went with the Taurus. My wife and I had a bad night a couple of years ago in the Grand Canyon with the combination of wind, sand and open mesh.
Old 02-15-2015   #10

Redmond, Oregon
People make fun of me for being paranoid.

I pack a simple lite ripstop nylon 7 x 9 tarp.

(In addition to a variety of whichever tent I feel like taking.
Generally a Big Agness BH4)

That tarp makes a nice bit of above insurance but it also could be a windbreak.

Thunderstorms happen.