Going rate for returning paddles and oars? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2015   #1

Going rate for returning paddles and oars?

what is the going rate for repatriating someone's paddle or oars? are commercial oars and paddles worth more?

picked up a couple today on the fork. have the initials BP on the oar, couple paddles with that too.

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You need a reward to return found property to someone? If there's an outfitter with those initials you should just drop them off and enjoy feeling good for helping a local business.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #3

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
You need a reward to return found property to someone? If there's an outfitter with those initials you should just drop them off and enjoy feeling good for helping a local business.
There's a unwritten rule in boating that private boaters keep commercial paddles and outfitters do the same. Oars, throw bags, pfd's are not included. I've worked for lots of outfitters and half their paddles are tagged by private boaters. Enjoy your paddles and get that oar back if you can.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015   #4

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Huh?! Good karma and happy warm feel good vibes? Uh, schyeah right! Returned paddles and gear ESPECIALLY from commercial outfitters warrants AT LEAST a good six pack to the returnee, if not sometimes a case depending on what was lost. It's obvious, and everyone knows this. It's the river game and if you don't play you'll pay....
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
There's a unwritten rule in boating that private boaters keep commercial paddles and outfitters do the same. Oars, throw bags, pfd's are not included. I've worked for lots of outfitters and half their paddles are tagged by private boaters. Enjoy your paddles and get that oar back if you can.
Agree with Randaddy. And most river people I know would do the same. Same outfit may be saving your butt or stuff in the future.

Bad karma for another year to you bucketboater. But based on all of your other asshole posts you're probably already up to 2030 so it really doesn't matter.

Send us the name of the outfitter you're currently working for so we can make sure to avoid them.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #6

seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
Huh?! Good karma and happy warm feel good vibes? Uh, schyeah right! Returned paddles and gear ESPECIALLY from commercial outfitters warrants AT LEAST a good six pack to the returnee, if not sometimes a case depending on what was lost. It's obvious, and everyone knows this. It's the river game and if you don't play you'll pay....
This guy gets it.
Old 06-13-2015   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Yes, there is a going rate, it's called good river karma.
mervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #8

seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervo View Post
Yes, there is a going rate, it's called good river karma.
Agreed, but it's not a one way street. When I eddy out,scramble over a bunch of slippery boulders, drive 30 mins back to your shop because you dump trucked your crew the least you could do is offer up some cold beers. If you noobs want to wish me bad river karma have at it. But there's rules her people. River etiquette. If Somebody cleans up your mess you should tip!
Old 06-13-2015   #9

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Silly discussion. Ya'll do what you think best. The river will sort it out. Scum ends up in a dirty eddy.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Agreed, but it's not a one way street. When I eddy out,scramble over a bunch of slippery boulders, drive 30 mins back to your shop because you dump trucked your crew the least you could do is offer up some cold beers. If you noobs want to wish me bad river karma have at it. But there's rules her people. River etiquette. If Somebody cleans up your mess you should tip!
I wouldn't go through the kind of effort & risk you're talking about to pick up an outfitter paddle and I sure as hell wouldn't drive a half hour out of my way to return it. Leave it at the takeout or hand it off to another outfitter if the company it belongs to isn't around, or leave it on the shore where they can see it and snag it next time they come by. They'll get it later.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote