Going rate for returning paddles and oars? - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2015   #1
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 315
Going rate for returning paddles and oars?

what is the going rate for repatriating someone's paddle or oars? are commercial oars and paddles worth more?

picked up a couple today on the fork. have the initials BP on the oar, couple paddles with that too.

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-13-2015   #2
Beginner
 
Randaddy's Avatar
 
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,466
You need a reward to return found property to someone? If there's an outfitter with those initials you should just drop them off and enjoy feeling good for helping a local business.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #3
 
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
You need a reward to return found property to someone? If there's an outfitter with those initials you should just drop them off and enjoy feeling good for helping a local business.
There's a unwritten rule in boating that private boaters keep commercial paddles and outfitters do the same. Oars, throw bags, pfd's are not included. I've worked for lots of outfitters and half their paddles are tagged by private boaters. Enjoy your paddles and get that oar back if you can.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-13-2015   #4
 
Blade&Shaft's Avatar
 
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 294
Huh?! Good karma and happy warm feel good vibes? Uh, schyeah right! Returned paddles and gear ESPECIALLY from commercial outfitters warrants AT LEAST a good six pack to the returnee, if not sometimes a case depending on what was lost. It's obvious, and everyone knows this. It's the river game and if you don't play you'll pay....
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #5
 
duct tape's Avatar
 
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
There's a unwritten rule in boating that private boaters keep commercial paddles and outfitters do the same. Oars, throw bags, pfd's are not included. I've worked for lots of outfitters and half their paddles are tagged by private boaters. Enjoy your paddles and get that oar back if you can.
Agree with Randaddy. And most river people I know would do the same. Same outfit may be saving your butt or stuff in the future.

Bad karma for another year to you bucketboater. But based on all of your other asshole posts you're probably already up to 2030 so it really doesn't matter.

Send us the name of the outfitter you're currently working for so we can make sure to avoid them.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #6
 
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
Huh?! Good karma and happy warm feel good vibes? Uh, schyeah right! Returned paddles and gear ESPECIALLY from commercial outfitters warrants AT LEAST a good six pack to the returnee, if not sometimes a case depending on what was lost. It's obvious, and everyone knows this. It's the river game and if you don't play you'll pay....
This guy gets it.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #7
 
Fort Collins, Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 50
Yes, there is a going rate, it's called good river karma.
mervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #8
 
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervo View Post
Yes, there is a going rate, it's called good river karma.
Agreed, but it's not a one way street. When I eddy out,scramble over a bunch of slippery boulders, drive 30 mins back to your shop because you dump trucked your crew the least you could do is offer up some cold beers. If you noobs want to wish me bad river karma have at it. But there's rules her people. River etiquette. If Somebody cleans up your mess you should tip!
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #9
 
Whetstone's Avatar
 
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 362
Silly discussion. Ya'll do what you think best. The river will sort it out. Scum ends up in a dirty eddy.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #10
 
Andy H.'s Avatar
 
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Agreed, but it's not a one way street. When I eddy out,scramble over a bunch of slippery boulders, drive 30 mins back to your shop because you dump trucked your crew the least you could do is offer up some cold beers. If you noobs want to wish me bad river karma have at it. But there's rules her people. River etiquette. If Somebody cleans up your mess you should tip!
I wouldn't go through the kind of effort & risk you're talking about to pick up an outfitter paddle and I sure as hell wouldn't drive a half hour out of my way to return it. Leave it at the takeout or hand it off to another outfitter if the company it belongs to isn't around, or leave it on the shore where they can see it and snag it next time they come by. They'll get it later.

-AH
__________________
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
video frame rate? codycleve Kayaking | Gear Talk 7 03-13-2013 05:55 PM
Offering ride: Denver or along I-70 to Westwater Fri. 3/30 pm, returning Sun. 4/1 pm Andy H. Kayaking | Trip Planner 7 03-28-2012 09:35 PM
Returning after an injury BAER Whitewater Kayaking 0 02-23-2012 01:56 PM
Oars, oars, oars Randaddy Whitewater Kayaking 13 04-26-2008 01:53 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.