go big or go home? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2015   #1

go big or go home?

i am in the market for a drybox. my frame has two locations for placement, one would allow a box 13" front to back, 16" deep, and up to 42" wide. the other option is 19" front to back, 16" deep, and up to 42" wide.

in my normal set up, the 19" wide location is under the rear seat, the 13" location is under the passenger seat up front. but, i can switch the bays.

i like the idea of a big box, but i am not sure that is the correct route to take.
i mostly do day trips, but have a 5 day trip this summer and want to do more overnight / multi day trips.

with my current set up and no passenger, i need to load all my gear up front to balance the boat. i sit rear of center and the cooler is all the way at the back. so i like the idea of the dry box up front. but, being able to change the frame around, it comes down to simply to go big or not.

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015   #2

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Oh man you scared me, i thought this was going to be another thread like the "Going Big This Summer" one...
Old 04-20-2015   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I really like my large dry box, 24" front to back, outside measurement.I have less space in my boat for other stuff, but all that space is awesome! And makes longer river trips more comfortable,dry box space is always at a premium anyway.
You could ditch the seat and move your cooler up to sit on, if you put dry box in bay right in front of you and brace off of it, then you could have materials for tasty beverages right at your finger tips.
Rigging your boat is half the fun, Happy boating!
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you have a frame with break down components, it is also possible to use seat bar and kick bar to make a day frame for the cost of shorter side rails and maybe towers. Could gain a little more space for longer trips, and have something light weight for day trips?
Did this with my nrs frame.
Old 04-20-2015   #5

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If price is a factor, your 13" bay would probably fit a frontierplay box nice and it would save you around $200. I've seen some folks bash them on here, but mine is around 7 years old and doing fine. I actually prefer the latches, lid, and gasket design over my big, expensive custom dry box.

Are you ever planning on putting a kitchen in your box? If so, the bigger the box, the more your back hurts after lugging it up the beach.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015   #6

not planning on a kitchen.
money has very little bearing on my decision.

i just don't want to get a big box and then regret it because of its size and weight.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015   #7

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah
Paddling Since: 1980
Go big

Spencer
For wanting to do longer trips, I'd suggest you'd be quite happy with a larger dry box - there's just never enough space. Flipping your frame for weight & balance is a good idea - especially because the bigger box will have a lot of heavier/bulky items. That's where mine is - once the boat is rigged, I don't ever pull the at campsites - I carry gear (that's what passengers are for-my wife isn't listening) to the camp.
Bay #2 is where I carry my cooler - it's usually quite heavy and I like it centered. On daily runs I usually have a smaller cooler for lunches. I sit on the smaller dry box and even on daily runs rig the boat with it - safety gear, water guns, towels, clothing... I have a beaver tail board suspended in the rear - to which I strap toilet ammo cans, fire pan, and finish off with dry bags - topped with a net.
I built a large padded bench that's the same front to back frame distance, but is much wider than the front dry box - spanning almost tube to tube. I strap it on with footman loops on the underside - makes for a really nice big passenger seat and gives more options for using the boat.
Enjoy your box! Darryl
DarrylH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015   #8

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah
Paddling Since: 1980
Bench

Spencer - Sorry I forgot - I use the padded bench on daily runs in place of the large dry box. Two boxes on a daily are too much. Darryl
DarrylH is offline   Reply With Quote