Glue for Rocky Mountain Raft? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 05-15-2017   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Glue for Rocky Mountain Raft?

We have a 2010 (I think) 14' Rocky Mountain Raft. and the wear pads on the top of the tubes are beginning to peel off. Since it's no longer under warranty what is the best glue to use on them? I know there are some differences so any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Aknoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Stabond or La4123. Along with MEK

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Cull791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
StaBond works on both Rubber and Plastic! If used with a heat source to activate, it's the closest to a weld you can get.

Write the date on you buy it on the can and throw it away in one year. There is nothing worse than doing all the prep and having your repair fail due to bad glue.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017   #4

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
how much heat do you need?
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
A heat gun from a hardware store is the best solution but a hair drier works if your on the duck tape and bailing wire program.
Old 05-16-2017   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Good to know, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Aknoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #7
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
again how much heat? heat guns have different temps.. most heat guns range from 140F to 1200F that is a huge range. is 300F too hot? or is 600F just right?
Old 05-16-2017   #8

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Never Heard of the heat gun trick. Sounds good though. Is this one of the trade secrets. I used stabond and added 6 D rings to my 14' RMR raft. The first one looks the worst. I got better and better at it. I will say one thing. It was about 75 and raining here so humidity was about as high as it could be and there was no 5 minute wait for glue to be ready. It was knuckle test ready as soon as I got the D ring coated. I read here in another thread some one had said that but they were down in the South West. I figured it was the lack of humidity. Not the case. Be ready to stick the thing quick. And get one of those rollers that you put a patch on an inter tube. Roll the crap out of the patch in every direction to get all the little air bubbles out. Also have the boat inflated for every application that you can. Have a good day.
Old 05-16-2017   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
I can't give you a specific temp but if you do some test pieces it becomes pretty obvious. If is smells like burning rubber or melting plastic its too hot. If the glue is not active it's too cold. Like everything it takes a bit of practice.

Heat may be an industry secret but Hyside recommended it to me and it works very very well. My business does not include huffing glue but I've done plenty for myself and friends.

Another trick is to use syringes... separate ones for catalyst and glue to mix small batches for test pieces or small progects. Glue will continue to be useable once mixed for 12-18 hrs if you put it in a sealed container. I like using the PVC primer cans for this purpose and they work well for solvent storage in your repair kit as well.

DID I MENTION YOU NEED TO WEAR GLOVES!!!! Cancer is not what you want from fixing your boat!