Gear that is needed with a new raft? Fishing and WW - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 12-10-2012   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Gear that is needed with a new raft? Fishing and WW

Hey guys. New to the scene and rafting, and am looking at what is needed to fulfill my boat for safety and general packing.

We bought a DRE Pro Series 13 with the San Juan frame. The raft is mainly for fishing, but we'll want to venture too.

We have a throw bag, a big pump, an ice cooler, and two oars.

We are aware that we need a third oar, and 4th for the GC, and we are just considering getting a cheap oar of the proper length as our spare. Is this a bad idea?

As far as PFD's, what are pro's and con's of Side zip, vs Front zip. And mesh back? I was looking at Stohlquists. They seem decenlty priced on Amazon.

Pressure guage? Smaller pump for in the raft?

Thanks for all the help.

Litlchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Check some other threads. This recent one had a good list of big items:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tml#post298516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
You didnt mention the quality or condition of the used gear

Lets put some prices on some of this for good gear retail:
4 bay frame $800
3 oars/blades $600
Straps $100
Pumps $150
Firepan $200
Drybox $350
Cooler $350
Drop bags $200
Is your big pump small enough to bring in the boat, or is it a huge car/shop one?
What kind of water are you rowing? What is your initial budget to fill in the gaps?

If you're just on II-III for now and tight budget, find a cheapo Carlisle for a spare. If you're looking at III-IV and more in the near future, find one that matches your other two. You'll use it sooner than later.

Another throw bag or two. If you have a big one, get a smaller one. If you have a smaller one, get a big one.

Straps. Lots of 'em.

Camping?
Drybox, drop bag(s), drybags, camp table(s), camp stove, dutch oven, coffee pot, chairs, firepan, groover ....

Fishing?
Fishing frame (thigh hooks), anchor system...

WW?
Paddles, helmets, another throw bag, oar tethers, safety lines,
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I've got just about every piece of gear you could want but I'll pipe in on the pump. I've got a big 5" nrs barrel pump which is a great pump but I'd rather not find space for it on my boat as its rarely used.

I'd say get a cheap (but effective) interdynamics red pump if you have 12V available at the put in. then get something small but good for topoff (like a Kpump) that doesn't occupy much space in your boat. I think the kpumps can also be hung off the side of your boat so they take up little space and are lightweight even if you put them in a drybox.. Even better, made in USA.

If you ever have a major tear or pop etc, its going to probably take you a long time to derig and fix the hole anyhow. Pumping up a boat with a small pump is a pain but its doable, often someone will come by and assist or someone in the group will have a larger pump. or maybe you can bring along a small sealed lead acid battery (7AH and a mobile usb cigarette adapter is great for recharging electronics) that will have enough life to repump your boat with the 12V pump.

no longer available at amazon but a good picture with reviews
Amazon.com: Interdynamics RFT-1 12-Volt Raft Inflator: Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
"
Is your big pump small enough to bring in the boat, or is it a huge car/shop one?
-It's this one.

What kind of water are you rowing? What is your initial budget to fill in the gaps?
-No budget at the moment, but I like to buy quality. Obviously cash isnt endless.

If you're just on II-III for now and tight budget, find a cheapo Carlisle for a spare. If you're looking at III-IV and more in the near future, find one that matches your other two. You'll use it sooner than later.

Another throw bag or two. If you have a big one, get a smaller one. If you have a smaller one, get a big one.

Straps. Lots of 'em.
Why?

Camping?
Drybox, drop bag(s), drybags, camp table(s), camp stove, dutch oven, coffee pot, chairs, firepan, groover ....

Fishing?
Fishing frame (thigh hooks), anchor system...
-Already have it

WW?
Paddles, helmets, another throw bag, oar tethers, safety lines
Helmet and PFD brands?
"
Litlchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #5

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I can inflate my 14' raft 1.5 times with a LVM pump and a 7AH SLA battery. If you have an electric inflator I would just get a small top off pump like Avatard said and bring both on the river. They will still take up less room than a big barrel pump.

Rafters can never have enough straps. Back when I was just kayaking and canoeing I thought I had a rediculous amount of straps. When I started rafting the strap bag doubled in size. Now everytime I order boating gear I order more straps, and each time I swear I finally have enough. Then the next time I take my boat out there is something else that needs to be strapped down with a strap that I don't have. I have come to the conclussion that straps are the rafter's version eternally rolling a boulder uphill in hell.

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlchuck View Post
Straps. Lots of 'em.
Why?
Because!
Wiggins answered it well.
Here are a couple of good sources for a lot of straps to get started:
Rafting Kits
Grab Bag of Cam Straps | Salamander Paddle Gear

I also like the K-pump for a top-off/on water spare pump. You can hang it off the side like avatard said, or lash it parallel to one of your frame bars.

Quote:
Helmet and PFD brands?
Helmet: It is REALLY hard to beat WRSI for features and pricing. The biggest problems I have with them is that they don't make a model big enough for my head. My wife and kids all wear WRSI.

PFD: Very much a matter of personal preference.
Front zip are generally easier to put on and take off.
Size zip/no zip (strap tightened) are a bit more awkward to put on and take off, but are often more comfortable once on.

PFD fit is even more subjective for women. Some have generous recesses for the more generous portions of a woman's anatomy, some don't or don't need it. Often cut shorter in the torso to fit a woman's more proportionally short torso.

NRS, Astral, Stohlquist, (????). You can't go wrong with a quality brand. Buy one that fits you really well. It should serve you 8-10 years if you don't keep it out in the sun a lot.

Kids: they grow fast. Cheapo Stearns PFD's really aren't much worse for a kid who won't be paddling when they're little. NRS youth PFD's are a good value and have nice fit/features/adjustability when your kiddos get up to the 7-8 age. Teens can wear small adult PFD's.

Guest/spare PFD's: Get some used America's Cup Type III PFD's. Buy 4-5. They're ugly and bulky, but safe. Let your friends invest in their own nice PFD's.

If you get one with a rescue belt, take it off until you've taken a swiftwater rescue class. Oh, and take a swiftwater rescue class, then invest in a rescue/unpin kit.
Old 12-10-2012   #7

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Beer!
Old 12-10-2012   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Do you have friends who run whitewater?
Jump in with them.
Learn to read the river.
Buy them beer.
Ask a lot of questions.

Class II you can "learn by doing". Class III, you want some basic experience first. Class IV, you need to be hitting Class III lines exactly where you want to and be willing to flip while learning.

Borrow/read this book:
Kayak: The Animated Manual of Intermediate and Advanced Whitewater Technique: William Nealy: 9780897320504: Amazon.com: Books
yes, I realize it's a kayak book, but it's got a lto of great information on reading water and river running.

This is a pretty good book, too:
The Complete Whitewater Rafter: Jeff Bennett: 9780070055056: Amazon.com: Books

Neither is a substitute for competent instruction on the water.

Oh, you also forgot to ask about wetsuits and drysuits.
Old 12-10-2012   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:

Straps. Lots of 'em.
Why?

visualize your raft getting churned, upside down, when rigging. visualize your gear floating away around the bend. visualize gear sinking to the bottom of the river. visualize how effed you are without your gear on a 8 day trip on day 2. ect,ect....

my first year rafting i had my loosely clipped in day bag get washing machined open in a hole. cost me about $700 to replace that river offering....goretex, fleece, fly boxes,ect. good lesson though and yet to be repeated since. rig to expect the unexpected.

my strap bag weighs about 20 lbs these days. no idea how many are in there. lots of different boats over the years and ways of rigging and they don't all go on the river with me each trip. they all get used at one time or another over the seasons though. they get lost,left behind at camps,put ins,take outs dropped into the river,break on occasion so it's good to have a good number of extras.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #10

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
Beer!
And the BABES!
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote