Gear talk: raft straps - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-27-2016   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Gear talk: raft straps

I see the 1.5 " NRS straps are rated 2000 pounds. I see that stitches and stuff don't have a rating. I see whitewater designs 1.5 inch straps are rated to 1200 pounds. It seems there are some discrepancies. What is the rating of the buckle for the NRS straps? Does anybody have the Whitewater design straps? I have both an NRS and stitches and stuff. I really like the NRS, however I want to buy other straps because mine keep mixing with other boaters. The tags on the NRS eventually fall off. A great idea but I still lose straps.

I thought I would start another subject for the gear geeks. Let's chat about simple webbing straps!

geek on!

Tda

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
While I haven't used their straps, I really like the stuff that tuffriversports.com make.
RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Agree w Ray's straps at Tuff River Stuff.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I bought Ray's expedition raft rig and it obviously came with a bunch of his straps. Mostly the wider 1.5" straps and they are by far and away the best straps I've used. He uses material similar to seat belt strap, a really heavy duty buckle and sews a d-ring into them too. The D-ring really sets it apart since you can use them to keep the end of the strap from flapping and they are super useful for clipping stuff into the raft too.

Surprisingly, they are even cheaper then the equivalent NRS strap (6' 1.5" strap from NRS is $8.45 and Ray's are $8 flat).

For what its worth, considering some of the health issues he's gone through recently, its even more of a reason to give him some business. He is also a sponsor of Mountainbuzz.

1.5" Heavy Duty Cam Straps - Raft Rigging - Tuff River Stuff

Oh....and it says 2800lb rating too. Not that you'd ever load them up that much. He makes 1" straps and loop straps in both widths and many different lengths and will do custom lengths too.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016   #5

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I have used a lot of straps over the years and the ones from Tuff River Stuff are by far the best. I have a lot of Rays other gear. Drop bags, everything bag, duffle bag, dish dryer, bucket bag, firepan wrap. It's all top notch with very sturdy materials and great designs.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I chose to go with straps from Strapworks.com when I got a new raft a few years ago. I got 1 inch polyester cam straps in print that was unique & matched the color scheme of my raft.
My straps will never get mixed up with all the other NRS straps at the take-out. The poly straps have held up quite well and they don't get as stiff & rough feeling as the NRS straps. They don't stretch like a nylon strap will. The cams seem to be good quality.

https://www.strapworks.com/ProductDe...ductCode=CS1PP
Old 12-28-2016   #7

Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
TUFF RIVER STUFF 100%.
Love the D ring just below the cam buckle. Great place to quickly clip/strap something down. By far the best! Just like everything he makes!
Great to support Mt. Buzz sponsors too.
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016   #8

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Although the buckles have a capacity, it's usually the base material of the strap that dictates the strength. Nylon has superior strength usually by a factor or three for a similar cross section. However, polypro is adequate for 99.9 percent of the applications. Choose a strap made in the USA. Stitchesnstuff91 / Strapworks ....etc makes such a strap. However, there are many other domestic straps makers that do a mighty fine bit of work.
A cheap polypro usually has at least 400 lbf of capacity for a 1" width. It is stronger than the dring patch affixing the strap to the boat. One can also make your own with a little mule tape and double rings; the latter of 1200 lbf.
Old 12-29-2016   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Tuff River Stuff also
Old 12-29-2016   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Great info. Anybody know the rated or average strength of factory installed d rings?
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote