Gear guidance appreciated! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2017   #1
Desert Dweller

Grand Junction, Colorado
Gear guidance appreciated!

Prop protector and tiller extender advice. After Minimal research, and buying a 6 horse mercury outboard for flat water (up coming Deso trip) thinking about:

Mac's River Runner prop saver and Ironwood Pacific Outdoors 37-51 tiller extension with u-joint. Banged up the prop a little bit on my training run, GJ daily (Colorado River thru Grand Junction, CO).

Any thoughts, better ideas?

My boat is an NRS Otter 15'.

Needy Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The longer you run the tiller extension, the harder it will be to make a tighter turn if you have to.
Be as prepared as you can be with your tool kit, cary spare plugs, ether, fuel filter, Etc.

If you plug your cooling system with mud, putting the hose of your pump over the opening outlet with the engine off, and somebody else pumping, can push the crap back out, so you can keep running without burning up a power head.

Fuel spill clean up kit, with empty rocket to store it in, Nitrile gloves.

Make sure your raft is registered in your home state, and it should be good to go in Utah, besides reg papers and your numbers on the side, you need an accessible fire extinguisher to be legal.

Those are some of the more useful things I can think of.
Also use the search button near the top of the page, there is a lot of good info in some of the past threads on motoring in general.
Have fun on Deso!
Old 09-05-2017   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
My 10 cents.

on my little boats I do run an articulated tiller extension. Mattman is right on the control-ability but you just look further down the river and plan ahead...
I don't run any gizmos on my lower. I just keep my tilt lock unlocked while moving forward and stay in the deepest water you can. If you tag something, the motor will kick up and over the obstacle and keep going. When you decide to go into reverse don't forget to lock the tilt or the motor will jump out of the water and flail all over the place.

I also run a jack ass so when I see the water shallowing, I can raise the motor and run a little shallow until deeper water. I don't mind plowing sand every once in a while but i try really hard to avoid it.

A bent skeg kinda goes with the territory especially running at lower water levels.

Welcome to the dark side.
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
These are available at Cabella's. They do require some mods to adapt to smaller motors but are well worth the Time.

I would also suggest getting a digital hour meeter for your motor so you can keep track of scheduled maintainance.

Tiller extensions are easy to make with a piecs of 1 1/4 pipe. Cut 4 slits about 8in long on one end to allow it to expand and slip over the motor handle. A hose clamp will secure it in place. I keep a 5/16" nut driver in my tool kit to tighten. If you want to get fancy a standard oar handle will fit in the pipe. You don't really need a U joint and it's just one more weak point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prop Gaurd for MTB.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	505.8 KB
ID:	22330  
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Jake's advice on "cob" - aka tiller extension - is excellent. Go to any plumbing supply or big box store and buy some 1.25 PVC pipe, cut four slots with a hacksaw or other, slip a hose clamp over it and you have an extension (cob). Depending where you sit or stand, you need a foot to 3 feet of pipe. Easy to adjust the length (break out the hacksaw again...) - if you want deluxe motoring, wrap some hockey or bicycle tape around the end you're going to hold and you won't have to grip plastic.
As for prop guards - no matter what kind you run they are going to cut into your fuel economy. I sorta' consider 'em like oar wrongs (rights): training wheels. You need to learn to read the river and recognize sand bars, shoals, etc. - you'll only need to hit something at half or wider-open throttle ONCE to realize paying attention is better than fixing your prop (file, etc.).
Gravel bars and sand bars and even the new mud bars present below Cat and the Grand all present challenges to read and get over. Better to develop those skills than fasten a gizmo on your lower unit and think you're impervious...
Beer helps. Also experience. And a spotter who knows shallows is invaluable - but harder to put out on the nose of your flotilla every year...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017   #6

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Alternative Concept

How about losing the motor and rowing the boat?
Old 10-24-2017   #7

dallas divide co, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by garystrome View Post
How about losing the motor and rowing the boat?
the man asked some legit questions ...your response is quite rude !!
riversoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post

Fuel spill clean up kit, with empty rocket to store it in, Nitrile gloves.
Mattman,
What do you have in your spill containment kit? Is it just a rocket box and shovel? Do you carry kitty litter too? Rags? Just curious.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversoul View Post
the man asked some legit questions ...your response is quite rude !!
Hi, have you met garystrome (here on the buzz that is)? Rude, opinionated, troll? It's a classic response and at least he's consistent in the usefulness of his posts!
Old 10-25-2017   #10

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Novel concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Hi, have you met garystrome (here on the buzz that is)? Rude, opinionated, troll? It's a classic response and at least he's consistent in the usefulness of his posts!
Novel concept: To not want to listen to someone motor at anytime of the day; the sound bouncing around those canyons and chasing away any wildlife. Troll...perhaps. Fish with respect to you.