Gear directly on drop stitch floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-29-2017   #1

Gallup, New Mexico
Gear directly on drop stitch floor

I do not have a cargo floor yet for the back of my raft. Would a fellow damage the floor by putting some light gear directly on the drop stitch floor? Mostly dry bags with sleeping bags, tent etc....heavy objects like fire pans and H2O would be suspended from the frame. How worried should I be on a silty river concerning abrasion?

Johnny Yuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2017   #2

Denver, Colorado
I put a piece of foam pad under some gamma buckets with a bunch of other clutter over that and did a couple days without incident. And it wasn't especially light, just had some protection from abrasion. I have the same concerns, though, and probably need to come up with another option.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I have loaded light gear directly on the drop stitch floor in the front and back of my Maravia for 28 years with no signs of wear. I don't boat in silty rivers much, but I would guess that there is much less abrasion from gear piled on top compared to dragging a loaded boat across a parking lot (I've seen it many times at Boundary Creek) or just general low water boating.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2017   #4

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I should add to my post above that the gear is not tied down or covered so it is not pushed down into the floor and deforming it.
Old 04-29-2017   #5

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It'll be fine. If you're that concerned pad it with some crazy creek or similar chairs. Although i dont know how thick your fabric is. Or how light the gear is. Or why you would listen to me.
b.pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #6

Gallup, New Mexico
Thanks for sorting me out and calming my nerves. I'd hate to ruin my new to me15yr old boat. Hopefully, with many more.
Johnny Yuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #7

Alberta, Alberta
It'll be fine. Just give the floor and gear bags a quick rinse down in the morning before loading everything to get rid of small pebbles/sand and such that may cause abrasion. Otherwise your golden....
Raft Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This ^^^

Just avoid putting anything hard or sharp on it.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #9

NRS Raft Cargo Platform at nrs.com

^For the price (even includes straps) this is hard to beat^. For a slightly cheaper option, you can make a beaver board out of some plywood and webbing in a few hours.

While you will be fine for a trip or two you might as well put something together now, unless you are under a time constraint and have a trip in the next few days or something.
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've put a lot of gear right on the floor of my boat without issues. As other have said nothing hard (drybox/cooler) and try to keep the area relatively clean. I use a pacific river bag (Large Pacific River Bag w/Handles | Cascade River Gear) to keep my pile of gear organized and rigged in a somewhat timely manner.