Gas Growler - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Gas Growler

Just saw an ad for this, basically a 5lb propane tank with a koozie and an adapter, for $150. Boating season is winding down, time to debate the merits of overpriced gear.

https://ignik.com/pages/gas-growler

seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I can easily see how the $5 hose and coozie adds $100 in value, you wouldn't want to scratch your bottle would you?
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
I can easily see how the $5 hose and coozie adds $100 in value, you wouldn't want to scratch your bottle would you?

That's not the big bonus, the Molle webbing is what adds to the value of the $30.00 bottle, it's the fact that you can clip your stove to it, and carabiner all your cooking utensils to the bottle, having them ready should you have to make a long hike to camp, you can also hang your stereo from the bottle, and as the ad states, if you're a commercial outfitter, you can hang your drift boat heater from it too.

By the time you're done, you can have a couple hundred pounds hanging from your 5 lb propane bottle LOL
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Ya, kind of freeking steep for what it is!
Bet someone that’s good with a sewing machine, could make a custom sleeve for a 5 pound tank for $25 bucks.

The smaller tanks are pretty awesome though.
I got a 15 pound from my local Murdoch’s, and it’s my new favorite tank for the shorter trips.
They also were selling a heavy duty sized green can, that refills like a big tank, and they had the adapter and a stand for refilling the old green canisters, to.
Like everything at my local Murdoch’s, over priced by at least 30%, but not as bad as that one!
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have found Murdoch’s to be the best price for filling tanks. It’s a total loss leader, cause you go wonder around the store, while your waiting, and hopefully buy something, but a great price on the refill, and there usually open on weekends.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
At $150 for tank and accessories that’s cheaper than what other people charge for a propane Coozy for a 5lber. If someone made them for $50-$75 I’d be in. I like an old one I have.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
$55ish for a new 5lb tank. $10-$20 for a hose. Both just standard crap you can get off Amazon with 1 click.

The rest of the $75 or $85 lays on the tank koozie, it’s quality and functionality. Unfortunately, the site does a pretty piss poor job talking about the only unique part to the package. Instead of selling it’s features, they just show some dude dumping green bottles in the trash.

$75-85 seem pretty reasonable to me, overall though if there’s some decent quality built in there.

Anybody got links to other better koozie options? I really didn’t come up with much on google beyond whitewater worthy stuff or the other end, Outland stuff at $30 or so and for 20lbers. Honestly, I’d like to see the other non ghetto options out there.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Those 1# tanks are not single use! Like that ad claims. I refill mine. Got the adapter for $10ish. Its easy. There are a hundred videos on youtube of people showing how to do this.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Holy shit!! You can use a refillable tank to run devices that use the 1lb green bottles??!! These dudes have reinvented the wheel. And only $150 each!! I'm buying 2.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I bought this to give me some strap points for a 20# tank. It is well made and for $10 you can't beat it.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Rhino-...ier/1000001392
Ever_Cat is online now   Reply With Quote