Gas Growler - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #41

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
I have a 5#, 11#, and some 13# tanks. And I've gotten rid of the old 20# tanks. They're just heavy enough to be a bother in my dotage. I'm in my 8th decade. In all those decades in the out-of-doors, I have yet to see a tank worn or damaged in normal usage to the point where I wouldn't be happy to use it. The paint gets scuffed, and that is cosmetic only.
I saw a mess of tanks declared out of date by the Federales'. (I'd like to know how much grease THAT cost Manchester propane tank co! ) I did see a couple of them left outdoors in the dirt and rusted through, and I saw a skid-steer knock the valve off a 20 gallon tank. (interesting results... near dead employees suddenly came alive!)
This kozie and a hose thing? $150?? That, My Friend, is a Giant Rip-Off! And anybody who tries to sell you that package should be told why they have lost your business! It's a rip-off. They know it. They still try to sell it. I'm gone ... I don't want to deal with a company whose people would rip me off.
On a lighter note ... oh hell ... I'd better not talk about all the things I've done with propane tanks ... the statute of limitations for some things ...!

villagelightsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #42

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Right up until the day that one of those 1 lb cylinders blows up in your face......

There's a reason they are marked as non-refillable, can you do it? Yes should you do it....
MNichols, truthfully, do you have any knowledge of one blowing up? So otherwise, your opinion is just that. The refill process is not violent or forceful. It is a simple transfer of fluid. If danger really existed and if blowing happened I doubt a company would risk a lawsuit.

Just like the 5#, 10#, and 20# propane tanks; I suspect that they are refillable until obvious external abuse. So exercise common sense.

But I have to admit, when refilling so far I keep the big tank between me and the little tank when I open the valve. Abundance of caution I suppose, after all, it does say non-refillable.
This is my exact philosophy on the $2 condom - do your worst Mr and Mrs HIV!
PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #43

Nice, but expensive cozy:
https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/product/propane-coozy/

If I had that budget to spend on propane accessories I'd buy a 11lb fiberglass:
https://www.go2marine.com/Trident-Ma...ity=1&size=148
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #44

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Nice, but expensive cozy:
https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/product/propane-coozy/

If I had that budget to spend on propane accessories I'd buy a 11lb fiberglass:
https://www.go2marine.com/Trident-Ma...ity=1&size=148

I do not disagree that they are expensive. Unfortunately, they are also a huge pain is the ass to make and take way longer than you would expect. It’s like wrestling a wet noodle up a Hipo’s ass.

I created these after the Lite fiberglass tanks folded and cost us $500 +. I personally am not going to gamble on another fiberglass tank after taking such a hit.

If someone wants to buy a bunch of them it would help on the price point but most people don’t need 10 propane tanks.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
I do not disagree that they are expensive. Unfortunately, they are also a huge pain is the ass to make and take way longer than you would expect. Its like wrestling a wet noodle up a Hipos ass.
Damn! If it's ANYTHING like wrestling a wet noodle up a Hippo's ass, you should sell tickets for folks to watch and you'll be money ahead.
HitMcG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #46

Whitewater Worthy Equip - Agree 100% and hope you didn't think I was shitting on your product. I can see where that would take a lot of labor to construct. Out of my budget though.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #47

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Whitewater Worthy Equip - Agree 100% and hope you didn't think I was shitting on your product. I can see where that would take a lot of labor to construct. Out of my budget though.
jeffro,

Thanks for the clarification about the intention of your post, but I didn't feel like you were trying to piss in my Wheaties. My response was intended to inform the community why they are so expensive. Truthfully they are really only for those that have some disposable income. I wouldn't have bought before I became middle aged either.

Now lets burn some skis and and open the storm doors for a great winter season.
Old 1 Week Ago   #48

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
It appears that you make a bomber product, the problem I'm struggling with is for another 30 bucks you can buy a Viking Composite tank, the upside to this is you lose all the weight of the steel tank. I bit the bullet 2 years ago and bought 4 of them, absolutely love them.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #49

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
It appears that you make a bomber product, the problem I'm struggling with is for another 30 bucks you can buy a Viking Composite tank, the upside to this is you lose all the weight of the steel tank. I bit the bullet 2 years ago and bought 4 of them, absolutely love them.

I really enjoyed my lite cylinders right up until the DOT recalled them and the company folded leaving all its customers high and dry. Its not worth 5lbs of steel and the risk of another cluster to ME. You dont have a agree me and both points of view are valid.

Send snow!!!!