Gas Growler - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 4 Days Ago   #21
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
I am not sure I'd want an insulating cozy for my five-pound bottle, especially if I'm trying to run the Woodland Power Stove, and especially at higher BTU. Woodland recommends at least ten-pound bottles to maintain good flow rate. There's not enough head space over the liquid in a five-pound bottle for the blaster to run effectively. It's the headspace that makes the pressure and makes the gas flow to the stove. As the liquid vaporizes, it cools. As it cools, flow is reduced. I want some ambient heat to be able to get to my bottle to keep the gas flowing.

If it's just to protect the bottle (and raft) during transport, that's not a bad idea. It wouldn't be too hard to make one out of neoprene. Just take the bottle out before use. I like my little bottle, but we need two of them if we want to run a stove AND blaster. A 20-pounder can easily run both. I keep threatening to buy a Ragasco, but I'm kind of waiting a little while longer until my 20-pounder needs to get a hydro, then I'll retire it and get a 10 or 17 pound lightweight bottle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago   #22

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I bought 4 of these https://bit.ly/2VodibV for grand trips, the 17 lb models as the height allows me to stand them up in the rear hatch of my Dory, I wish I had done it sooner, I can't think of one thing I don't like about them, and there are multiple attachment points. Pricey, but bomber and super light...
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #23

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
MNichols, thanks for the article and education. I stand corrected and my apology.

Yes, it was winter. The original article is dated Feb 6, 2012 from Minnesota.

This guy violated many of the specific instructions for using the refill system.
1. He refilled indoors.
2. He refilled while having a nearby flame otherwise why did it ignite.
3. If he was dumb enough to violate 1 and 2 he likely did many other violations. For example, maybe the tank was old and rusty since in Minnesota it was on its 100th refill cause it was used on a heater in an ice fishing shed?????

None the less, I have ordered "refillable" 1# tanks now that I know they exist. Hence, if I get blow to hell and killed I stand a better chance of winning a lawsuit.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Days Ago   #24

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
5# tanks aren't only $30, they commonly retail at $60.

20# tanks are $30.

If you find a 5/10/11# tank for under $40, grab it, it's a nice size.
I don't see much benefit to a 5# tank over a 10# tank; they're nearly the same size, but 10# obviously holds 2x as much.

If you can find a used 5/10/11# tank, they're only ~$10 to recertify or $20 for a new valve.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #25

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Amette View Post
I am not sure I'd want an insulating cozy for my five-pound bottle, especially if I'm trying to run the Woodland Power Stove, and especially at higher BTU. Woodland recommends at least ten-pound bottles to maintain good flow rate. There's not enough head space over the liquid in a five-pound bottle for the blaster to run effectively. It's the headspace that makes the pressure and makes the gas flow to the stove. As the liquid vaporizes, it cools. As it cools, flow is reduced. I want some ambient heat to be able to get to my bottle to keep the gas flowing.

If it's just to protect the bottle (and raft) during transport, that's not a bad idea. It wouldn't be too hard to make one out of neoprene. Just take the bottle out before use. I like my little bottle, but we need two of them if we want to run a stove AND blaster. A 20-pounder can easily run both. I keep threatening to buy a Ragasco, but I'm kind of waiting a little while longer until my 20-pounder needs to get a hydro, then I'll retire it and get a 10 or 17 pound lightweight bottle.
Will, lot's of good info. Thanks.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #26

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
MNichols, thanks for the article and education. I stand corrected and my apology.

This guy violated many of the specific instructions for using the refill system.

No apology necessary, I can't say never, but I almost always have some providence and ability to back up what I write. I came across quite a few other incidents as well, one notable one from Washington where coffee shop woman died.

Both parties violated the non refillable rule, just because they make a device to refill the little bombs, doesn't mean you should use it.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Hour Ago   #27

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
Just saw an ad for this, basically a 5lb propane tank with a koozie and an adapter, for $150. Boating season is winding down, time to debate the merits of overpriced gear.

https://ignik.com/pages/gas-growler
I just put a 5 lb tank in a dry bag.
ksmilbrath is online now   Reply With Quote