Gas Growler - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever_Cat View Post
I bought this to give me some strap points for a 20# tank. It is well made and for $10 you can't beat it.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Rhino-...ier/1000001392

Now that's a deal...

MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like the green bottles, I can fit 2 inside the stove and close it up. Makes for a tidy little package and 2 tanks last a long weekend with plenty to spare.

I only take a bigger tank if I am going out for more than 4 days

Also I shoot a hole in the green tanks when they are done and they go to the scrapyard, who I am sure recycles them as scrap metal.
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Recently I have refilled the 1# canisters with phenomenal success using the over the counter device when used as directed.

I'll do a detail on that soon but to summarize, sixteen ounces out and sixteen ounce plus or minus back in suggesting infinite life.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Recently I have refilled the 1# canisters with phenomenal success using the over the counter device when used as directed.

I'll do a detail on that soon but to summarize, sixteen ounces out and sixteen ounce plus or minus back in suggesting infinite life.
Right up until the day that one of those 1 lb cylinders blows up in your face......

There's a reason they are marked as non-refillable, can you do it? Yes should you do it....
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Right up until the day that one of those 1 lb cylinders blows up in your face......

There's a reason they are marked as non-refillable, can you do it? Yes should you do it....
MNichols, truthfully, do you have any knowledge of one blowing up? So otherwise, your opinion is just that. The refill process is not violent or forceful. It is a simple transfer of fluid. If danger really existed and if blowing happened I doubt a company would risk a lawsuit.

Just like the 5#, 10#, and 20# propane tanks; I suspect that they are refillable until obvious external abuse. So exercise common sense.

But I have to admit, when refilling so far I keep the big tank between me and the little tank when I open the valve. Abundance of caution I suppose, after all, it does say non-refillable.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
And there are kits sold for refilling the things...

The old farts that I know, that have been jury rigging it for twenty years, have yet to be blown up. They have blown up other things, like potato guns, and cans of laquer thinner that they were squirting onto a roaring fire, but still haven’t blown themselves up with the old green cans, at least not yet, anyways....
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
12 times I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
I like the green bottles, I can fit 2 inside the stove and close it up. Makes for a tidy little package and 2 tanks last a long weekend with plenty to spare.

I only take a bigger tank if I am going out for more than 4 days

Also I shoot a hole in the green tanks when they are done and they go to the scrapyard, who I am sure recycles them as scrap metal.
That's a good idea, why did I not think about that?? The bottle on the left has been refilled about 12x. At lucky 13x's they tend to blow up, just giving you shit MNichols. My friend refills them, so I have bought very few over the years, yes we're old farts. It's very compact and handy set up, I have used this stove on 2 to 3 day river trips. The original red, white gas tank rusted out.....At 150$ bucks give me two also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191005_190607.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	39833  
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Flame King makes a 1lb. bottle specifically designed to be refillable...

Seems like its just a better built version of the green Coleman ones you get at the grocery store with a better bleed valve. The system seems nice with the fill valve and all that.

I'd agree...I'd love to hear an actual story of a "one time use" 1lb blowing up when someone refilled it.

Definitely don't need a $100 bag for my $50 propane tank.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
MNichols, truthfully, do you have any knowledge of one blowing up? So otherwise, your opinion is just that. The refill process is not violent or forceful. It is a simple transfer of fluid. If danger really existed and if blowing happened I doubt a company would risk a lawsuit.

Just like the 5#, 10#, and 20# propane tanks; I suspect that they are refillable until obvious external abuse. So exercise common sense.

But I have to admit, when refilling so far I keep the big tank between me and the little tank when I open the valve. Abundance of caution I suppose, after all, it does say non-refillable.

I believe this was last winter:

POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas.
Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene.
Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries

They say non refillable for a reason, and as was pointed out, they do sell refillable ones. The problem is the disposable ones are made from a light ga metal that's pressure stamped to form the 2 ends, they don't stress relieve the metal as it's only intended for one use. Repeated contraction and expansion causes the thinwall metal to fatigue and possibly rupture.

You guys go right ahead and refill to your hearts content though, don't mind me....
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I believe this was last winter:

POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas.
Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene.
Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries

They say non refillable for a reason, and as was pointed out, they do sell refillable ones. The problem is the disposable ones are made from a light ga metal that's pressure stamped to form the 2 ends, they don't stress relieve the metal as it's only intended for one use. Repeated contraction and expansion causes the thinwall metal to fatigue and possibly rupture.

You guys go right ahead and refill to your hearts content though, don't mind me....
That is very valuable information, thank you for sharing. I was totally unaware of the dangerous situation with these bottles on refilling them. Just filling them all the time to our hearts content is not a very good idea( or at all). It makes sense though, even the 20 lb and all other refillable LP bottle's need inspection every 5 years or so I think. I'm going to go out and snag a couple of those refillable bottles and replace those green one's in my stove.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote