Gary at Rowframe Incommunicado - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2016   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Gary at Rowframe Incommunicado

Kind of like to have Mr. Gary put together a frame for my boat but I can't reach him. Anyone know if he's still doing his thing and/or okay? I emailed him through rowframe.com several weeks ago and it's been crickets. When I try to call I get the recording that says no voice mailbox set up so I can't leave him a VM. I've reached out for advice in years past and he's always been pretty responsive so I'm not sure what to make of it.

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Had the same problem.... ended up building my own frame. Guy is pretty flaky but some people seem to have good luck with him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
whiskey_river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016   #3

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey_river View Post
Had the same problem.... ended up building my own frame. Guy is pretty flaky but some people seem to have good luck with him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Yep, not surprised he was a real pain when I was trying to get him to build me a frame and so I left him to his own and went to Down River, way happy with those folks over there.
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I managed to purchase a frame from Gary 3 or 4 seasons ago, and I have been very happy with it. The oar towers are a nice design. That said, he is the only person in the rafting industry I have ever had issues trying to get to take my money. I have tried for multiple seasons to get a few parts from him, including a foot-bar and I have had no luck. He would respond initially, but when I would ask for a total so that I could send a check, I would not receive a response. When I made my initial purchase, he didn't cash the check until 2 months after my frame was delivered. His frames are a great deal if you can get your hands on one.

I believe from our phone conversations he only builds raft frames seasonally.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I ordered a frame on 9/28 he del'd it personally on the 10/16 of this month (love it) exactly what I wanted. E-mail is the way to go
Old 10-25-2016   #6

little rock, Arkansas
Thanks for the responses everyone. Bighorn, email was the first thing I did so he'd have a good idea of what I was working with and what I wanted, but that email went out quite some time ago and I've still heard nothing. Hence the phone calls. Which he doesn't answer. And he doesn't have VM. So, still nothing LOL. Not a big deal really. I do like Gary. He's been very helpful in the past with advice and such and I just thought it'd be nice to give him a little biz, but my needs are pretty simple and I think PRO can fix me up for about the same price. So, onward!
Old 10-26-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
I just got a bunch of frame parts hand delivered by Gary last week, including Tees, towers and locks, and a 65" kickbar. Adding my own 1.5" pipe. Did take some persistence to track him down, as I take it he's about half time in Colorado and half in Oregon, but I'm glad I did because I think I'll end up with about $325 into an all aluminum 4 bay single rail frame including towers and brass locks. Good deal, and he double checked my numbers (tower height, oar length, frame width, etc) to make sure it was near the sweet spot. And in retrospect, if I knew that he would hand deliver, I'd have just got the pipe from him as well, since without shipping it would have been about the same price. I'm pleased.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016   #8

little rock, Arkansas
No wonder he won't talk to me. He's too busy with y'all!
Old 10-28-2016   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
Gary recently built me a cat frame.

I am happy with the frame and the price.

My take is Gary is the typical small business operating out of his back yard. Meaning he does have a day job and to do list plus building frames I think by himself. Meaning he is one busy person.

He answered my emails within a reasonable time.

All in all my frame was worth the wait.

Gary is very easy and fun to discuss things with. I had a ton of questions and he answered each one.

Based on my dealings with Gary, he is a good guy and makes good frames.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016   #10

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Gary row frames

Attached is a some of photo's of my 3 bay frame for my 12' RMR from Gary.