Gaco Neoprene Coating - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Gaco Neoprene Coating

Has anyone ever used this product? I have an old neoprene boat that is in nice shape but has a few wear spots that I would like to cover. She holds air for weeks and has no patches so I'd like to keep it that way. Plus the guides ass wore the fabric a bit, could I use the coating in there and still get a surface that's comfortable to sit on.

Gaco Western - Neoprene Coatings
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDS-N-17.pdf (77.5 KB, 66 views)

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015   #2

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Gaco or Gacoflex was the go-to product for neoprene boats for decades.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Did not use it to cover wear spots but thinned it with toluene an painted the old
Leland an Green River rafts,to make silver not black also did the dry bags as well.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015   #4

Check out a product called System 6 sold by Man of Rubber. Sounds like a newer version of what u were talking about?
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015   #5

Denver, Colorado
That shit is expensive...urethane is not what I want for my neo boat. The process is to involved and the cure time is to long. This gaco seems to be pretty easy to apply and cures quickly. It sounds like gaco makes hypalon paint in lots of colors and this neoprene paint, which I assume is black. I've seen the j rigs painted silver which I assume is for heat. I'd like the paint to be black to match the neo, and the boat already has light blue gum wear strips to protect the booties.
Old 10-30-2015   #6

C. Springs, Colorado
If your wear spots are still being worn upon, then you should apply wear patches. I've used Gaco to paint over old markings with good success. I've painted two D rings to match a boat. Just remember...... it does not provide a wear protection. I've only used the stuff made for Hypalon. I'd double check on the color when you order it.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015   #7

Denver, Colorado
This boat was used commercially for 15 years but the only wear spots are from trailering. All normal wear spots like the floor and seams are looking great. The floor is a double layer of 60oz material, It would be hard to damage it with a dull knife.

The manufacturer claims this product creates an abrasion resistant layer, good for protecting the underside of rafts. In a 11 yr old mtn buzz thread someone claimed it also seals pinholes...of which I have none.
Old 10-30-2015   #8

Denver, Colorado
I do appreciated the responses, thanks. Where are the old salty raft guides, y'all probably used gallons of this shit....how is it.
Old 10-30-2015   #9

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
You did hear from old salty guides. The stuff works, but it is thin. It is paint, not a wear patch. We did use gallons
back when rafts were black.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Soooooo salty

How would this compare to urethane, like the system 6 mentioned above, it's a paint too and it's thin, even after a few coats, but it's tough and pretty slick when wet. Is gaco neo paint similar, can it be applied in coats? From the research I've done, it looks to be a durable waterproof rubberized sealant, most of y'all on here seem to say its just paint that sticks well to rubber. I've watched Millionaire, I know the audience is normally correct, I'm just wondering why I seem to be getting two different answers. Maybe we are talking about two different products?