FS: 14' Hyside SB Raft in Arizona - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-20-2004   #1

FS: 14' Hyside SB Raft in Arizona

FS: 14'Hyside Self-Bailing Raft, blue with yellow strake, lace in floor and lace in thwarts (3). Boat is in great shape, have used it twice since purchased in 2002. Boat is located in Flagstaff, AZ. Also have a large NRS Barrel Pump and Electric (car battery) pump that are both virtually unused that are for sale also. Photos are available if interested.
Thanks
Bill

rubberpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2004   #2

I'll give you 200 bucks. Take it or leave it.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #3

Sounds like a nice boat; What is it worth to you?
[email protected]
cs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2004   #4

$1500 for the boat and the pumps are negotiable.
email if interested
[email protected]
bill
Old 11-21-2004   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
$1,500 for a barely used Hyside - Wow! Depending on the answers to a few questions, this could be a FANTASTIC deal.

Was the boat used when rubberpusher bought it in 2002?
What model Hyside is it?
What kind of shape is the boat REALLY in?

This isn't meant as a slam on rubberpusher, but just a suggestion that you may want to inspect the boat or have someone else check it out before sending the check. From my experience you have to be careful about buying boats sight unseen (from his name, does the guy move used rubber for a living?). If a boat's only been used twice and he's only asking $1,500, its almost too good to be true and you should be careful with this deal. There have been some scams recently with people selling "new" rafts on e-Bay at outrageously low prices - the only trouble was that the boats weren't new, they were imaginary. See:
http://boatertalk.com/forum/RaftZone/704404

Rubberpusher's also working Raftzone to sell his boat (as I did when I sold my boat last spring).
http://boatertalk.com/forum/RaftZone/709735

An example of someone to be wary of is a guy from CA advertising used Hysides for about $1100 - $1500. He posts photos of sweet shiny boats, then shows up with outfitter-thrashed filthy Hysides that he must pick up wholesale or on their way to the dump. The guy has a profit margin that makes it worth his while to buy the boats in CA, bring to CO in his minivan, sell them around the state and head back for more.

If rubberpusher's legit, its a great deal and you should jump on it. Even if he's moving boats from wholesale to retail (like the guy above), if what he's selling is in good shape and is only a couple of years old, its still a good deal. If he's selling thrashed boats that are at the end of their life or empty promises, its a bummer.

Not sure how you'd find out for sure, possibly have someone you trust check out the boat first-hand. Make sure you inflate the boat and check for blown baffles. There may be a rafter you could get in touch with near rubberpusher that could check it out for you (hook up with someone through the GCPBA list? pay a nearby AZ outfitter $100 to check it outfor you?). Even if you pay someone $100 to go check out the boat, then spend that much on shipping its still a great deal if the boat's in good shape.

There's a good chance that rubberpusher is a one-boat seller with a barely used boat. If so jump on it after you're sure things are on the up and up.

Rubberpusher, I hope that you're not offended by my raising these questions and there are no bad feelings but unfortunately there are some bad apples out there that mess up things for the rest of us.

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #6

He sent me an e-mail on my post & seemed like a straight-shooter. He offered to meet me in Durango so I could look at the boat & I thought that was a fair offer. He failed to mention (here) that he bought it from an outfitter on the Ark in 2002. I don't think he intended to mislead, but what do you expect for $1500? It sounds like it holds air & doesn't have any major problems.

Don't get me wrong, $1500 for a 3-year old Hyside with a few days on the river is a little silly; that's why he isn't selling a boat like that for $1500.

Andy: this guy you're tallking about sounds like a real piece of work, but It doesn't sound like this is your guy.
Old 11-22-2004   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Hey Spencer,

Sounds like you may have a really good deal there. It wasn't my intent to imply that the guy from CA was the same as rubberpusher, I just mentioned him as an example of the kind of used-boat buying pitfalls you need to look out for.

If the boat holds air well and isn't thrashed, you'll have a good ride there. Contact me offline if you're not sure what to look for when you're checking it out.

Good luck & SYOTR,

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 11-23-2004   #8

14 HYSIDE INFO FOR SPENCER

I work on the ARK. if you go and see the boat look for a company name, logo, or address it could help trace the history most outfitters would tell you about the boat and if it saw any action in the drought year '02 i might even know the boat if you could find out the outfitter

good luck gary
G M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #9

So here is the skinny, and I would have gladly answered your questions if you had emailed me rather than trying to imply that I am trying to screw someone. My name "rubberpusher," implies that I am a river guide, not someone trying to wholesale to retail boats on the sly. And don't appreciate the implication. I have posted this boat on this forum, BoaterTalk and the GCPBA group.
I purchased said boat in fall of 2002, it was NOT new, and I have never claimed it to be so. So sure it may have seen the drought in 02 on the Ark. I worked in NC in serious drought years as well. Was in charge of pre and post-season repair of boats. This boat has very little work needed. I believe that the spring for the release valve on the floor needs to be replaced. That is all. I encourage anyone to come and look at the boat, it holds air like a champ.
If you are interested in this please email me offline. I hope that the previous comments have not negatively affected your thoughts about this boat. Come look at it, working on photos this weekend.
Thanks.
Bill
[email protected]
Old 11-25-2004   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Hi Rubberpusher,

If you feel that I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt as a legit seller, I apologize. I made plenty of effort to make it clear that my intent was not to question your integrity but to point out one should be careful buying a boat sight unseen from someone he dosen't know.

Like I said in my posts...

"This isn't meant as a slam on rubberpusher, but just a suggestion ...(to be careful buying a boat sight unseen)... "

"Rubberpusher's also working Raftzone to sell his boat (as I did when I sold my boat last spring)."

"There's a good chance that rubberpusher is a one-boat seller with a barely used boat. .."

"Rubberpusher, I hope that you're not offended by my raising these questions and there are no bad feelings but unfortunately there are some bad apples out there that mess up things for the rest of us. "

Then after Spencer said that he didn't think you were the guy from CA, I reiterated:

"It wasn't my intent to imply that the guy from CA was the same as rubberpusher, I just mentioned (the guy from CA) as an example (the kind of scams out there to be wary of)"

Folks have been getting burned lately buying boats on the internet. I just don't want that to happen to anyone.

Sounds like a good boat for a good deal. If so, Spencer will be lucky if he picks it up for $1500.

SYOTR,

--Andy

Tags
arizona, rafting