Frontierplay dimensional accuracy?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-31-2015   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Frontierplay dimensional accuracy??

I have an older 199? NRS sprite III and there is 36" between the outer tubes. How close to spec. are the frontierplay boxes? Ideally I'd like to have at least a 1/2" on each side for each side. Frontierplay's 36" wide box is an appealing price, but the next size down they offer is 26" which is just too narrow for my needs (capacity and height).

DRE quoted me 400+ for a custom box which seemed steep for melting some aluminum together and attaching hinges and rounding up foam and latches. Am I just experiencing rafting sticker shock?

Anyone got any thoughts on the FP dimensional accuracy? Anyone else in the industry offer a 34-35" drybox for a fair price?

Zach

wack is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015   #2

Along with the 36" wide box we have a 37" and 38" wide box.
The dimension are accurate with half an inch on both sides for the handles.
https://www.frontierplay.com/drybox
FrontierPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015   #3
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Remember DRE guys are all pretty solid guys in their shop building stuff with their own hands to support their business and families. I think it is fair they get paid for what they do and the service they offer the boating community. I assume you require a paycheck when you go to work as well. And there boxes are USA made.
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWall View Post
Remember DRE guys are all pretty solid guys in their shop building stuff with their own hands to support their business and families. I think it is fair they get paid for what they do and the service they offer the boating community. I assume you require a paycheck when you go to work as well. And there boxes are USA made.
Sure....but when their blems cost twice as much as the ones Frontier sells its hard to justify. Its a lot easier to go with the local guys when they actually have reasonable prices. That goes for a lot of the stuff they sell.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWall View Post

Hasn't anyone heard the term "comparative advantage"
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
UH OH. Here we go... It's winter, were bored and the one thread was closed so I knew it was going to switch to this one. FP see all of the problems your causing.

What happened to Avatard?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015   #7

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Where in the world is Avatard? Haven't seen him on here for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015   #8

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Dry Boxes

Cambridge , DRE , Recrertec , Mad Cow VS Frontier Play = Apples VS Sand

IMHO

I would like to point out that I am impressed with the rather large man standing on the box on Frontier Plays website. The box appears to be solid. I also did notice the screws vs rivets for the handles and hinges as well as regular hinges vs piano hinges. I also wonder about the quality of the aluminum. All of these differences and the origin of the boxes is the main factor in the price. Lets call it what it is and that is a bridge between the walmart plastic action packer and a quality made in the USA rafting dry box. Cheers

Disclaimer I own products from China too
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
+1 FrontierPlay products and customer service.

I agree hinges, aluminium, and latches appear to be of higher quality on my "USA box".

However, the FrontierPlay actually keeps my stuff dry and has not cracked.
MikeSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #10

telluride, Moab, UT
Paddling Since: 1977
+1 for Frontier Play dry boxes

I bought 7 frontier play boxes about 8-9 years ago. They have done well. One bent hinge, some rust on the stainless hinges and a broken seal from the backside of a bolt that should have been located in a different position, but all the rest of the seals are still in good shape and are still glued in place from the factory. At least one large box did not seal too good when a friend flipped his boat in house rock and a few gallons of water managed to get in when the boat was upside down for an hour. I am not sure if I have ever seen a boat flip and not have water in a "dry box". I might test the rest of them in my hot tub, kinda curious and getting ready for a grand trip. A couple of the boxes have taken some "hits" that probably would have cracked the american made boxes I have used before. The FP boxes have a slightly more malleable aluminum, so rather than crack, they bend. They are a bit lighter than american made boxes, but seem to hold up well. Mine are true to size, just about a 1/8" less than advertised, so they fit in the bays well. I bought the matching black ethafoam for both top and bottom and recommend the foam as well.
mcmarcia is offline   Reply With Quote