Free Maravias - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-13-2016   #1

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Free Maravias

Herm Hoops has some boats at his shop that he / an outfitter are giving away.
If you want a free boat or six, and don't have his contact info, PM me.

From Herm: An outfitter is throwing several (6) 16í Maravia Monsoons away. Some are bucket boats and others are self-bailers. They have several leaks coming from under the manufactures wear patches and some seams. These rafts are about 15 years old. It breaks my heart to just throw them away but they are not usable for commercial use.
Let me know and Iíll get you in touch with them.
Herm

asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Someone asked me how bad a shape they're in. I don't know, and I don't know what outfitter they're from. I do know that when I was working commercially, we had boats that needed to be topped off both morning and mid-day that we were still using. So I assume these are either going to be a lot of patch work, or count on a daily (or more) pump, but, hey, free!
Old 04-13-2016   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think Herm works for River Runners out of Vernal. So that's probably where they are. Good folks at RR.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016   #4

Westminster, Colorado
I think this is through his repair business OneWay Boatworks. RR always used NRS boats.
Old 04-13-2016   #5

Craigamerica, -
I emailed him a few questions on condition and if they are in Vernal or Jensen . If I grab one I'd bring a few more back to Craig to save people some drive time.
Old 04-13-2016   #6

., .
Iíve seen a lot of Marvia floors from that production era with hundreds, I literally mean several hundred pin holes with a few of the desert outfitters. Iím not saying this is the issue with these ones, but I wouldnít be surprised. Maravia moved onto better floor material since then.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Emailed with Herm, the boats are actually in Moab, and are 18' not 16'. I've been sort of thinking of an 18', so I might actually get one. If I do, I would be able to bring 1 or 2 more back to Denver in exchange for gas money, or could pay gas money in exchange for someone else's drive.
Old 04-14-2016   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Asleep.at.the.oars, I reached out to Herm as well about one, if you go I'll toss you gas money for a ride back to Denver

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016   #9

Westminster, Colorado
I spoke with Bob at Tag-A-Long who is the source of these boats. He and his guides are going through things now. He's going to look at everything with an eye towards boats that only need to be pumped once or twice a day to keep decent, and see what is left vs what is going into the dumpster. I'll talk to him on Monday, and maybe make a run over there on Tuesday, depending on what he finds. Thanks for the PMs. I'll let folks know how many might be able to make it over to the front range.
Big thank you to Tag-A-Long for being willing to spend a little bit of effort to help out some fellow boaters!
Old 04-18-2016   #10

Westminster, Colorado
Called back again today, and was told the boats are all gone.
Sorry to anyone who got their hopes up (like me), I guess it's back to saving up slowly for a brand new one.