Frame weight concerns - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Nashville, Tennessee
Frame weight concerns

Long time lurker, first time asker. You folks have provided some invaluable info over the last couple years as I put my first raft together, so, big thanks. Now aiming to build a custom frame for an RMR 14' Dropstitch. I've read (and loved) the Games with Frames thread, but curious about opinions about total frame weight for a fishing oriented frame. I'm planning a 1.25" EMT welded frame, double railed for decks, and casting braces. No floor framing (since dropstitch), and I'm shaking out to ~80-90lbs with all the features I want. The frame will almost never be used for bearing the weight of major gear, and occasionally for overnight fishing trips. Am I being overly concerned about this total frame weight? I previously had a frankenstiened NRS/Star/homegrown fishing frame, and while it was heavy, never got a good weight measurement on it. Thanks for any opinions and thoughts.

FlyFshermn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Unless you're carrying it to your put ins, don't sweat the weight.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Ya that’s not a lot of weight for a fishing frame.
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

mead, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
80-90 pounds is a flea on a camels back for your 14 foot boat.
jimbridge2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
1.25" EMT is not that heavy..supposedly 1lb/foot. I have a 6' x 7' 5-rail (4-bay) with double outer rails, but with 60' of tubing, it doesn't seem like 60#. Similar NRS frame will still weigh 50#+.

as seantana said, you only notice if you're carrying the boat.

Aluminum oarlocks make a noticeable difference.

Cooler and drybox and what you put in them make a far bigger difference.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Nashville, Tennessee
Thanks for the responses, needed a good gutcheck. Will let yall know how it goes.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Welding it yourself?

Plan for paint/coating?

I do recommend using NRS oar towers, and consider at least two NRS crossbars at your cooler and drybox so you're not fixed on those dimensions and forced into fewer options. (although drybox could be 16"...that's a somewhat standard size).
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Nashville, Tennessee
Not welding myself. I wish I had that skill, maybe one day. Same buddy who's doing the welding has recommended an automotive paint, has a hardener in it for durability and comes in a rattle can. Not completely sure on the details, still stuck on the layout planning. Good call on the nrs crossbar, would like a minor amount of flexibility. Do you think my 1.25" emt (outer diameter 1.5") will work with a standard lopro? Have planned on NRS oar towers, at least 8" possibly 10". Going to try out a sliding rowers seat mount for some adjustment across rower heights.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Kalispell, Montana
It's not rocket surgery. I borrowed a buddy's flux core wire welder to build my first frame 15 years ago and while my skills have improved exponentially since then, the welds never broke, and as far as I know, that frame is still going strong for the current owner.

Paint:
Awesome. Sounds good. Hardener + enamel is a bomber coating. IMHO better than powder coat. Use muriatic acid to "etch" the galvanized before primer, it will stick better than to the shiny/oily new galvanizing.

I *think* a Lopro will slide perfectly inside 1.25" EMT. 1.25" EMT is 1.510od, so slightly smaller than the NRS tubing, but I believe the Ubolt will still clamp it.

What general dimension are you shooting for?
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Nashville, Tennessee
Aiming for 81"x64". Crossbars TBD but front cooler seat between front bar and the next. Will be pretty minimal since it won't need to support gear. Couple more cross bars for rower, and hopefully some additional double rail for decking. Stern section will take some thinking with the welder, but modeled a bit after the Montana Raft Frames seen on some sotars. Probably not going to nail it on the first shot, but I guess the good thing is its metal so we can cut it and re-do!