Frame Wear - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2019   #31

Carbondale, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfarley View Post
So I am fairly new to rafting and recently went on my first trip with my raft and frame down the Yampa. unfortunately when I got home I noticed the frame wore gouges into my rubber. I have a 13' RMR with a DRE Gunnison Frame. There are no burrs on the frame fittings. could it be that I stapped the frame on too tight, or not tight enough? Could it be that stacking the rafts on the trailer could have caused this? Either way my plan is to add patches to the worn areas, but I would like to know how to avoid this in the future. Thanks.
There may have been some dirt between the frame & raft, that's unusual.

groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019   #32

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Ken Devore wasn't the first to notice you're a lot safer on the water than shore... and when I ran a couple of trips with him back in the 70's/early 80's he had a number of notions, some valid, some not. Esophageal cancer got him a few years ago- RIP, he never put anybody in danger and ran clean, far as I know...
Trailer your rig, fasten frame to trailer and check your tubes - and bearings - every time you stop (to pee, to admire scenery, or especially when going up or down passes where you gain/lose 1k feet of elevation...) Don't agree with the knee test, you should have discerning thumb or hand for knowing 1.5# (psi, or spend $30 for fancy gauge and have fun inserting in valve every time you want to know) tube pressure, likewise for trailer axle bearings - if they're hot, you got a pro'lem.
Awful lot of advice on this subject seems to boil down to common sense. If your tubes hold air, you need to check 'em going up in sunshine and down regardless - and axles usually good if you check after 30 minutes of starting and whenever you stop for gas... Otherwise keep tension on your straps and off your bladder(s)...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote