Frame too long for 14ft trib? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2017   #1

small town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Frame too long for 14ft trib?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and hopefully not posting in the wrong place. Anyway i just purchased a brand new 14ft tributary and frame from a dealer, they were super helpful and gave me an awesome deal. I need to go back and pick up a few other things so i'll ask when i go back but... i noticed that the nrs frame that they pieced together is 76" long, and when i was working on getting everything set up the way i want, i found out on the aire website that the max frame length is 66". I'll end up asking about it when i can get ahold of them, just figured i'd ask if anyone has done this? It doesn't look too big but will the extra few inches be a problem with performance? or will the frame ends wear into the bow and stern? Thanks!

vwchust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hi vwchust, and welcome to the forum!
As long as your side rails rest on the section of tube that is flat, you should be fine. If the ends are resting on the "rocker" of the boat, where it curves up, then it is too long. Fortunately with an NRS frame, this is not hard to fix, if it is too long, the side rails can just be trimmed to the right length, you could even do this yourself, but might as well have the shop do it for you, since they theoretically have the right tools, and you did buy it from them.

Personally, as long as the side rails were not sitting on the rocker, I would consider the longer frame a good thing, since it gives you more space to work with.
Old 04-14-2017   #3

small town, Colorado
thanks for the welcome and advice mattman! I'm pretty green to rafting... i owned a 16ft cat with a few buddies(got bought out of that) and borrowed a friends boat to row west water a handful of times plus a couple day trips day trips around colorado/utah. I've been a passenger on a bunch of other trips and just fell in love with the river/lifestyle, felt it was time to get my own rig. Even if i just end up rowing flat water most of the time i"ll be stoked... I already have butterflies with this years runoff. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
post some pictures of raft with frame
Old 04-15-2017   #5

small town, Colorado
sorry not the best photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1492269871356.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	837.6 KB
ID:	17146   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1492270149310.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	933.1 KB
ID:	17162  

Name:	image_1492270196022.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	798.8 KB
ID:	17170   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1492270234138.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	894.2 KB
ID:	17178  

Old 04-15-2017   #6

small town, Colorado
It doesn't look that bad but it technically does go into where the rocker starts.
Old 04-15-2017   #7

Longview, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I went with 82" side rails on my Aire 143D. I consulted with Clyde at NRS and the guys at Aire and the main concern was how well it rested on the chafe strip on the rocker up toward the front and rear. I am really happy with the length and have no issues with frame contact on the flat spots. As they explained it to me. it is just how the curve of the boat is and while it is a good guideline, from my experience, I am loving the extra frame space.
WW Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017   #8

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Looks fine to me also, keep the extra length you will use it.
Old 04-15-2017   #9

Groveland, California
Looks good! I ran a 78" frame on a 14' Trib for years with no issues. If you need the length I suggest leaving it as is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0247.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	17186  
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Length looks fine, though I tend to like the width of the frame so that most of the pressure on the side tube is exerted all along the length of the frame side rail. The way you have it, there is more pressure going to be on the small pieces of the cross bars touching the tube as the side rail is so far off the tube center line, would be better if the side rail was more on the center line of the tube. I actually like to have the center of the side rail about 1 to 2 inch toward the outside of the center line of the tube. Yours looks to be a few inches toward the outside of the center line of the tube, which means way more pressure when fully loaded on the where the cross bars support most of the weight on the tube. This will cause more sever wear spots over time due to the pressure on the limited surface. Overall though, should be fine, but hard to fix at this point. Its fairly hard to take off a lopro that has already been drilled, cut the pipe, then drill the hole to mach the hole already in the low pro, for the average person that isn't handy with tools. If you run it for a while and decide you do want to narrow it up to have the side rail take more of the pressure on the tube, send me a PM and I can give some instructions for a drilling jig for a hand drill if you don't have access to a drill press.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote