Frame suggestions on 12-13' cats - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-15-2013   #1

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Frame suggestions on 12-13' cats

I'm interested in getting a 12' 6" or 13' 6"Sotar Legend cat this fall from the sale, however, I'm only familiar with NRS frames and it doesn't look like one of those would fit this size cat. I'd like some suggestions for a two bay type of frame that would work on this size cat. I plan on using it for day trips, teaching young kids to row, and taking as an extra boat for hauling a bit of gear on multi-day trips. Thanks

Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I'm interested in getting a 12' 6" or 13' 6"Sotar Legend cat this fall from the sale, however, I'm only familiar with NRS frames and it doesn't look like one of those would fit this size cat. I'd like some suggestions for a two bay type of frame that would work on this size cat. I plan on using it for day trips, teaching young kids to row, and taking as an extra boat for hauling a bit of gear on multi-day trips. Thanks
Nrs will fit with the drop rails. But why put a tank tread on a corvette. Instead look to madcatr, drl, canyon inflatables, or some of the frame makers in Idaho. You lose the adjustability of the Nrs frame along with about the 20# you save in weight
Old 09-19-2013   #3

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Check out the Recretec 72 aluminum frame. That's what I have on my 13' Sotar, like it a lot.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013   #4

Park City, Utah
I recently bought a steel frame from Ron McClay, who makes or made frames for Payette River Equipment. He cranked out the frame in a couple weeks, it has fold down towers, it is powdercoated, and he can make various widths (between the tubes) for your preference. Compared to other frames out there his pricing is very reasonable. Ron is in Ontario, OR, so picking up the frame can be tricky. Avatard mentioned other excellent frame options, but either the timing or pricing didn't work for me.
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #5

Ft. Collins, Colorado
DIY

After reading through many threads (Games with Frames..Speedrail fittings, etc.) I've been inspired to try my hand at making my own frame with a little help from a friend. However, I'm hung up on how much drop I should shoot for. I've come up with two lengths 8.75" and 11.25" any thoughts. Again, I will be using this to play on the water and carry light loads for overnights.

Lastly any thoughts on width of the frame? I've read many threads and can't seem to figure it out, I don't plan on running class V just rocky class IV, since that's closest to my home. Probably just wide enough to fit a small cooler?

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-04-2013   #6

Ft. Collins, Colorado
FYI

Legend tubes are 12'6" x 22.5"
Old 10-04-2013   #7

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
My standard Gypsy frames are much closer to your 8.75" mark. 11.25" would put your bottom rails very close to your inside d-rings which would eliminate room for strap adjustment.

Also, most my Gypsy frames have a 36" wide floor width. I've done some wider to hold existing dry boxes or coolers, but you can get a 105 Canyon or 110 Yeti in a 36" wide frame and there are numerous 36" wide dry box options. Lately, I've been going narrower and narrower on my personal frames and really liking how they handle. 34" or even 32" would be fine, unless you have a specific box or cooler you want to fit in there.

Hopefully that helps a little!
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
I would definately go with the shorter deminsion. The last thing you want is to end up with your floor too close or in the water once you load it down.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #9
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have been shopping fro a new play cat and we have mostly non welded modular aluminum frames in my area as you know, most of the choices seem to be in WA or OR which turns into freight charges. The two places I have been shopping heavy for the frame and the tubes don't work together, the tube supplier seems to have we are god issues and I really don't want to pay double freight charges. My building skills aren't the best so I have to leave the measurements up to the pros I guess. I will be interested to see what you come up with
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
If your only option is NRS because of freight costs, then maybe the NRS sportcat frame might work. 6 inch drop rail. The stock frame is 88 inches long, but you might be able to get NRS to make them shorter for some extra $$. Just a thought.
NRS Sport Cat Frame 66"W X 88"L at nrs.com
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote