Frame for mini cataraft - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-10-2017   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Frame for mini cataraft

I inherited this fishing cat and the tubes are in great shape but the frame is a piece of junk. Looking to turn it into something for the kids for easy class 3. We had it on the San Rafael and it was fun but the frame was definitely the limiting factor. I am willing to build but have no pipe bending experience and I am concerned about the weight of an NRS style frame. Any advice on using a smaller diameter pipe? Connections? Attaching seats and oar locks to smaller pipe? Or what's the approximate cost on a fabricated frame?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1497112534.816426.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	19617

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

richjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2017   #2

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Build yourself something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0053.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	19665  
Old 06-11-2017   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
Check out Jack's Plastic Welding website for their mini cat frames, cutthroat frame may work for you

I have a wide cut throat frame on JPW tubes and it is a very nice rig.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017   #4

Taos, New Mexico
Here: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...mes-13726.html and here: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...mes-21488.html. Happy frame building.
h20shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
What are the size on those tubes? They look pretty small diameter. Length? I have an Outcast Pac 1000 and the frame is light weight and very functional. I can self support on weekend trips with the frame. Outcast used to sell their frames on their website, but I don't see them anymore. You could contact them and see if you could get one.
Old 06-12-2017   #6

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Looks like the tubes a Dave Scadden 11' 6" low profiles, 12" Dia. Don't spend too much on a frame IMHO if I am right.. They would be better for a small lake fishing, not class 3 rafting.
Old 06-12-2017   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks H20shed. I had found the more games with frames topic but not the first one. They seemed to rely mostly on Sidsports components but he closed up shop years ago. The first one showed me exactly what I think I want to do. Hollaender fittings will probably be best, but I haven't ruled out EMT electrical conduit. Cataraft girl, the tubes are 13" diameter and 11' long. They look like an Aire knockoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
richjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017   #8

Sandy, Utah
Those are really skinny tubes, so whatever you come up with needs to be as light as possible. My Outcast is 10 ft X 18 inch diameter tubes. The frame is powder coated aluminum and the entire boat with frame weighs 70 pounds. A JPW Cutthroat I frame might be a good fit for your tubes? Here's another idea, but maybe more than you want to spend?
Steelheader - Steelheader I Frame (Powered by CubeCart)

My mini cat has tubes made by Aire, with Aire cells and Leafield valves. It's over 20 years old, and I've had only one valve serviced. Otherwise it's in great condition. I have taken it on class III, and I've also flipped on class III. These little cats are designed for fishing, so they spin on a dime.....not always a good thing in a bigger class III rapid. Be careful with turning your kiddos loose on that little cat. I use 7 foot mini magnum cataract oars.

Here's some pics of my mini cat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1274.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	19753   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1027.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	19761  

Old 06-14-2017   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Small tubes imply less buoyancy. Generally you'll need 6:1 displacement:load for whitewater. Turn it into a self bailing cataraft by running a duckie between the tubes or by adding a polystyrene floor.
Old 06-14-2017   #10

Sandy, Utah
richjz - is it possible to do something with the frame that came with the tubes? It appears to have open oarlocks, but lacking a seat or rear deck. Those two things would be easy to add with some creative engineering. I think with tubes that skinny, any heavy frame might overwhelm them as Gary pointed out above.

Tags
cataraft