Frame and Oar Size for Super Puma? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-30-2018   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Frame and Oar Size for Super Puma?

Looking at building up a sporty whitewater rig for more technical rivers. Pretty set on the Aire Super Puma and piecing together a NRS frame.

I am looking at going with 54'' crosses (seat bars are on closeout) and 48'' sides (custom cut and adding my own lopros). Is this a good width in the buzzes opinion?

Also, I have a new set of 9ft oars I was hoping to use. Too big? I use them for my cat with a 54'' frame and they are great. It has the 10'' towers though.

Oar tower height considerations are welcome as well.

Love to hear about your setup. Thanks for any input.

jamesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018   #2

Here is a link to an NRS write up on choosing oar length.

https://www.nrs.com/boating_tips/oarlength.asp
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018   #3

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
2013 green super puma owner here. Love this raft. You will love it for R2-R6 paddling in addition to oar rigging. Bomber for creaking.

I went down into my garage to measure my frames for you, but I forgot it is all disassembled at the moment and leaning up in a corner. I use NRS low pros, the newer shinny ones.

My cross bars are 49 1/2" WITHOUT low pros attached.

I am cheap, and use galvanized fence pipe with plastic sleeves so the low pros fit perfectly inside the pipe. The extra weight of steel versus aluminum is like 11%. Totally worth the cost savings to me.

For my sport frame I run 8' cataract oars with cutthroat blades, 6" NRS towers, cobra locks.. I have towers tilted slightly (1/4") below maximum height. My padded plywood seat is very low, mounted right on cross bars with bolts, and slanted slightly forward. Seat Also serves as a yoke, so I can turtle the raft solo, frame and all (minus oarlocks and oars). Frame length is 34" (no extra length to adjust for someone with longer legs, but easy to carry).

For tight stuff the 8' oars are perfect. I also sometime bring my 6'9" mini mag oars (cut down) when I backpack the raft uphill to a remote New Hampshire put-in. The 6'9" mini mags break down into two pieces, so easier to backpack. The mini mags are way two short and flexible, but get the job done.

However, in big flushy water or with my multi-day 3-bay frame, I wish I went with 8.5' oars.

My multiday frame I sit on a cooler and use 10" towers. Same cross bars. The oar angle on the stroke is pretty steep with 8' oars. Wish I had 8.5' oars for multiday. My 3-bay Frame length is 66".

9' oars should be good, especially if the dimensions are the same as your cat. You can always go shorter after trying.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote