For low water trips...carry no fuel, boil potable water, cookset included, under 3 lb - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 01-07-2014   #1

Kirkland, Washington
Paddling Since: 1972
For low water trips...carry no fuel, boil potable water, cookset included, under 3 lb

Anyone try one of these? Camping Kettle, Equipment Store - KELLY KETTLEŽ - Camp Kettle boil water in outdoors fast in extreme weather conditions Seems to be a viable solution for those low weight, backpacker type low water trips: no need to carry fuel, potable water, water filter, cook set or stove with the Kelly Kettle. The large version weighs in at less than 3 lbs. Especially appropriate for self support kayakers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kelly Kettle.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	7522  

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
I looked at these at Sportsmans Warehouse last weekend, kind of thinking along similar lines. I figure it might violate the stricter fire rules though, where even barbeques are prohibited. And the size and weight are not that favorable compared to backpacking stoves. I've taken my jetboil on solo trips, and even with an extra fuel canister, it is smaller, and probably lighter.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #3

Kirkland, Washington
Agreed but I like the green alternative to gas stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobucket View Post
I looked at these at Sportsmans Warehouse last weekend, kind of thinking along similar lines. I figure it might violate the stricter fire rules though, where even barbeques are prohibited. And the size and weight are not that favorable compared to backpacking stoves. I've taken my jetboil on solo trips, and even with an extra fuel canister, it is smaller, and probably lighter.
I suppose a water filter along with a jetboil & extra gas cannister is still less weight than the Kelly Kettle boiling all potable water.

As for fire restrictions, you can still collect the ash, just like a fire pan. I guess that some river rules will not allow them. I do like that the Kelly Kettle is a more green solution.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014   #4

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
does it get any greener than all natural sources?

So.... if you wanna reduce weight and carry less, why carry any stove. Firewood is plentiful and free. Cooking on a fire is easy and old school. Less stuff to buy equals less work time and more play time.
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmusher View Post
So.... if you wanna reduce weight and carry less, why carry any stove. Firewood is plentiful and free. Cooking on a fire is easy and old school. Less stuff to buy equals less work time and more play time.
What rivers still allow open fires on the ground? I was not aware of any!
bighorn1478@msn.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #6

Kirkland, Washington
Smith River Mt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What rivers still allow open fires on the ground? I was not aware of any!
Every boat camp on the Smith River in Montana has designated fire rings within which boaters can build a ground fire year round.

If you are required to carry a fire pan whether you plan to build an open fire or not (e.g. the Salmon) you certainly have the option of using the Kelly Kettle.
Old 01-21-2014   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdconner View Post
Every boat camp on the Smith River in Montana has designated fire rings within which boaters can build a ground fire year round.

If you are required to carry a fire pan whether you plan to build an open fire or not (e.g. the Salmon) you certainly have the option of using the Kelly Kettle.
Good to know (I have never been on smith, yet)

I just remembered on the Green "B" section below Flaming Gorge Has fire rings.
bighorn1478@msn.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #8

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I purchased a "back country boiler" that is a similar kettle type stove 2 years ago. I love the idea of not hauling fuel on my back.
It works great at home around 4000' but is a huge chore when I take it backpacking in higher elevations, just can't keep a fire that small burning. Now it sits on the shelf and I'm back to hauling my trusty whisper light.
It may work better on the river with the low elevations and all, and with a fire starter like the compressed sawdust/wax combo would help it burn.
SALRVRRT is offline   Reply With Quote