Footbar Options - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2015   #1

cedar city, Utah
Footbar Options

Hey Folks,

I have a 66" wide NRS frame. I was hoping to use their Deluxe Football but I am looking into the dimensions at the width is wider than the available room in my bay, which is roughly 24" between the two rocket boxes I hang in there. The bay in front of the rowers compartment is currently a drop bag with an old wooden bench we made years ago for a bigger rig (might be some adjustments I can make there).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a little wiggle room with the rocket boxes and hangers as well as another .5-1" of space before I max out my side bars; anybody use one of the deluxe bars and can give some insight? Any manufacturers who make pieces for NRS frames?

Thanks in advance.

Phillip

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I don't have much else to offer other than a measurement - my deluxe is 33.5" from tip of lopro to tip of lopro on the foot stubs. Could you rig your rocket boxes on your side bars?
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #3

cedar city, Utah
No, we just dropped about $100 on Stitches and Stuff rocket box hangers which we really love. Our friend had them for years and finally made the commitment before our test run down Ruby/Horsethief.

What sort of angle (measured from crossbar) have you found you prefer with the deluxe bar? Do you keep it fairly aggressive towards the rower or closer to 90 to the crossbar?

The deluxe is tempting as we may not always need to carry the toilet and other rocket box on groups trips that we carry on solo trips. On the trips where the rocket boxes aren't there it opens up an option for tinkering and using it to its full advantage.

Phillip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I've got it raked back toward the rower by about 15 degrees, which has proven to be a really comfortable angle to rest my feet on and get leverage in a couple different positions. I have it on a 13' Otter with 18" tubes, so I can't get it straight vertical anyway.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #5

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
NRS sells individual lopro's and NRS pipe by the foot. You could build a footbar to fit any size and shape you want. Simplest is 2 pieces of pipe and 2 lopro's to make an inverted T kickbar. 3 pieces of pipe and 4 lowpro's gets you a U shaped kickbar.

DRE and AAA I believe also sell a crossbar with a welded U kickbar. You could call them and see if they'd customize to your specs.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #6

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRafter View Post
NRS sells individual lopro's and NRS pipe by the foot. You could build a footbar to fit any size and shape you want. Simplest is 2 pieces of pipe and 2 lopro's to make an inverted T kickbar. 3 pieces of pipe and 4 lowpro's gets you a U shaped kickbar.
Yeah, I was debating that option. I have two pieces of leftover pipe after I canablalized my Cat frame for our recently bought self bailer. I need to measure them but that is also a desirable option as it saves us some $$, at least the T-Bar route. Would need to figure out a route to secure them as the low-pros they sell individually don't have the bolt holes from what I understand. I am sure I could find a local machine shop to do so but I am hesitant to drill them with the limited equipment I have (would be worried about centering them properly to avoid damage).

The benefit of the T-Bar is immense since I could use it on any rig and at many angles. Very adaptable.

Phillip
Old 05-10-2015   #7

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Correct. You will have to drill out the bolt holes for the lowpro's. But if the only thing going into it is the pieces of a footbar build you don't really need a machine shop or even a drill press. If you had access to a drill press I'd use it but honestly a hand drill will get you really close, and get you on the water pretty easily. Some paper or painters tape to shim if you need to get the LoPro to pipe fitting snug helps. Also a vice grip, or attaching the LoPro fitting to part of the frame, will keep it stable enough to hand drill with pretty reasonable results. Finish it up with a SS bolt and nylock nut. Done.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #8

I bought a foot bar from dusty at drl I am sure he could make it any width you want.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1431300531.540657.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	9838

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
RiverVandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #9

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I've had two made at DRE- my frames are both the same diameter as std NRS frame tubing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #10

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
What Oregon Rafter says.

I would only modify it to say build the U-shape but use Speed Rail or similar fittings for the bottom corners. They are cheaper, lighter and lower profile. Those ones don't need to be as strong either. I'm not speaking from experience, but I'm not sure that one LoPro clamped to the crossbar in the "T" configuration would be strong enough to resist the force that could be applied to it.

I always put a cooler or drybox in front of the rower's compartment so I don't have this problem...
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote