Foot Thwart for Hyside Mini-Me - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-17-2015   #1

Missoula, Northwest
Paddling Since: 1982
Foot Thwart for Hyside Mini-Me

Anyone out there ever tried strapping a foot thwart in to the front of a Hyside mini-me? If so, what did you use? I am eyeing some IK thwart seats from Aire and NRS.

I'll be rowing my mini-me down the Grand this winter, so I'm revisiting my strategy for (not) staying in the boat. My past attitude has been "better to get tossed out than rag-dolled (with foot cups) or break my leg (with a foot bar)."

Skiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
On the grand in a mini me, i would think you would want to lean towards a drybag to brace off of instead of a thwart, especially in the winter. Space is at a premium on that little thing and even if all you have to do is carry your personal gear you'll want all the space you can get.

That said, I think the IK thwarts are going to be a little small unless they are way forward. If that is what you are thinking no reason it wont work out.
Old 10-17-2015   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Have you run the Grand? A Mini-me in the winter might not be as enjoyable as you think...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Have you run the Grand? A Mini-me in the winter might not be as enjoyable as you think...
Yeah, Randaddy, I was thinking the same thing. I ran it in March rowing a 14' rig - after the Jewels I realized that every day was going to be a drysuit day. He'll just need to make sure his tripmates chip him out of his ice cocoon when they hit camp each evening...

Skiou - you should definitely consider bringing a couple of thermoses along for hot drinks on demand during the day while you're on the river.

Have a great trip!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015   #5

Missoula, Northwest
Paddling Since: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
That said, I think the IK thwarts are going to be a little small unless they are way forward. If that is what you are thinking no reason it wont work out.
Thanks zbaird! Way forward is what I am thinking. My seat bar is usually just slightly forward of center. On a forward push I can leverage off the center thwart. On a pull stroke, however, I can barely touch the front of the boat. I find if I slide the frame too far forward (forward enough to firmly leverage off the front), I end up bow-stalling in everything.

I'll keep fishing: any mini-me owners out there who have tried such a set up?
Skiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015   #6

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
I did a Feb. - March in a mini-me. I didn't use a foot brace and you may not want one. Put as much weight in the front of the boat as you can and I liked to put my feet in the channel between the floor and the tubes. It's a light boat and balance and doing your own hyside is more important than raw power. You will find that a mini will make some of the rapids easier and a few harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015   #7

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Strapsssss

Just run a strap on the floor through the self bailing holes. Brrrr
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote