Flip seat opinions - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Flip seat opinions

This season I noticed I was losing gear space under my seat cause I had my thwart inflated. As well, I noticed that when paddling hard into a rapid I was standing to power forward. My thoughts are to put a nrs flip seat on top of a cooler (allowing more space for beer). I am also hoping that the higher Center of gravity will be a more powerful position to be rowing from, thus making paddling in big water more solid. Any pros or cons to the flip seat for paddling big water? I have a low back nrs seat and I just found that I always wanted to be standing while on the oars.

wharf-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I have been using a flip seat bracket on my boats for years and like you I use low back seat. Mine sits on a dry box. I have the bracket sold by Clavey as I feel it is a more elegant solution. The NRS bracket is more readily available and can be tuned for height unlike the Clavey model. You may want to look at your rowing geometry if you feel the need to stand. Raising your seat height may require higher oar towers as well. I find the combination of seat and flip bracket is stable in big water and makes getting in the dry box or cooler easy.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
This topic get visited often under various considerations.

To each their own Na, I won't be that lame. But I'm going skiing so I'll be brief now.

Don't run out and buy a taller tower yet. Part of that power you feel when standing is often the result of a steeper angle of entry resulting in your blade being deeper in the water rather than lily dipping on the surface. You might even consider keeping your current towers but cutting them lower.

However, I have a very tall seating position but when driving into a big one my last act of defiance is a standing push like you really mean it.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Personally I would avoid higher seating. I like being locked in a low as possible. Cutting your towers may be the answer. If you do it, start slow 1/2 inch at most, and then go run it. You wouldn't be the first to be buying another set of towers.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Towers are modular. Borrow a set from a friend before you plunk down cash.

I don't like flip seats...when I'm day-tripping, I like my seat on the bars and to stay low. When I'm doing multidays, I LOVE to have my full-width PVC pad on my drybox.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Being higher in big water is WAY more scary. there is nothing from bucking you out of the boat,. I got bukced twice on a big water (45K) trip, and lowered my seat immediately after,
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
Being higher in big water is WAY more scary. there is nothing from bucking you out of the boat,. I got bukced twice on a big water (45K) trip, and lowered my seat immediately after,

Amen, toss the seat and sit on your cooler or drybox with a pad. I like to be as low as possible, the lower you are the less chance of getting tossed out of the boat.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Boise, Idaho
Looks like I am in the minority on this one. I've got a flip seat and love it.
IDriverRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDriverRunner View Post
Looks like I am in the minority on this one. I've got a flip seat and love it.
Nothing wrong with a seat, if that's your thing, but if the seat sets you up and raises the center of gravity then you have a damn good chance of being thrown out of the boat. I've seen so many people, especially in those DRE seats that don't cut them down, they're adjusting their oar towers and everything to compensate for the seats that stick them way up in the air.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
faja

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I love my flip seat. I used to have my seat mounted onto my dry box but I really didn't like that because I couldn't open my dry box when my boat was loaded, and it also made the dry box lid way too heavy. With the flip seat I sit only 3/4" higher than I did before and I can easily access my dry box if I need to.
fajawiebe is offline   Reply With Quote