Flex Seal on Raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2017   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Flex Seal on Raft

Hello Buzz,

Interesting question. Has anyone had an experience using FlexSeal Liquid for patching abrasions to the bottom of a raft? not using it to patch holes but just the scrapes to the black bottom, Also has anyone used it to coat plywood for decking? Looks like it could be a sweet option! Any advice helps, on the website it specifically says that it works on Hypalon Material.

K.frazier91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017   #2

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
My friend has had great success with flex seal on the old raft I gave him. The raft had some pin hole leaks and seam issues (Earth brand raft). Two cans of Flex seal took care of the issues.

I think flex seal will be good to reinforce wear spots.

Not sure how flex seal will work on plywood
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
It will not stick well to plywood, paint or metal like your aluminum dry box (rubs off easy).
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017   #4
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Now if your raft was made of screen it would definitely work, just like the commercial​!!! Zack we need a reply from you on this one. Lol. Hey personally I'm for it if your boat is old and worn enough. If not I'd have Zack coat it with urathane.
Old 05-21-2017   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
When my vinyl soft seat starting cracking and getting water inside it, I tried to fix it with Flex Seal. It took several coats to fill the cracks. I let it dry for a week before using it on Westwater. Perhaps it needed more drying time but my black dry pants ended up with a white outline of my ass. It has stuck really well to the dry pants and I can only bring myself to continue wearing them thanks to a black Sharpie. The mess the Flex Seal made of my vinyl seat continued to peel off and I ended up replacing it. My take away is that it doesn't stick well to smooth, flexible surfaces.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017   #6

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Are we all talking about the same Flex Seal? I thought K.frazier91 was referring to the 2 part stuff you can buy from NRS that you put inside the tubes of a raft to seal up pin holes... not the infomercial stuff.

DanCan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017   #7
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
When my vinyl soft seat starting cracking and getting water inside it, I tried to fix it with Flex Seal. It took several coats to fill the cracks. I let it dry for a week before using it on Westwater. Perhaps it needed more drying time but my black dry pants ended up with a white outline of my ass. It has stuck really well to the dry pants and I can only bring myself to continue wearing them thanks to a black Sharpie. The mess the Flex Seal made of my vinyl seat continued to peel off and I ended up replacing it. My take away is that it doesn't stick well to smooth, flexible surfaces.
LMFAO...that's funny right there, I don't care who you are
Old 05-21-2017   #8

The correct product for repairing multiple pinholes on a raft is called System 6 and is a 2 part urethane product that is either rolled or sprayed on. There are several threads on this already on the Buzz and I also posted some pics of a raft I used the product on extensively fairly recently.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017   #9

For those that are search challenged....

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ing-62536.html

Also... Aqua Seal is the appropriate product for repairing rubber products like neck gaskets, paco pads and cracked seats and goes on clear and in many cases will outlast the product itself. Use several thin coats if needed. You'all spend too much time watching those infomercials!?
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017   #10
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
SHAM WOW!!!