Flex seal on PVC? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2019   #1

Eastern Oregon, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Flex seal on PVC?

Iím thinking of doing a clean flex seal strip on my PVC raft to function as oar rig chafe protector. Is this a bad idea? Why? What are the pros and cons? Thanks everyone.

Willy1blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I would discuss this with the flex seal manufacture, than the boat manufacture first. A boat is a expensive thing to experiment on so I would get both manufactures okay first. I have used it to do a quick fix on a fiberglass boat with a leaking crack in the bottom. I still have not done a final repair two years later. Had a pvc drain pipe crack, painted it liquid flex seal 5 years ago, still holding as of today, so it might work. I do carry a flex seal tape roll in my repair kit as a emergency back up for a "if all else fails" fix. It is like duct Tape and bailing wire, don't leave home without it. You might get by better using it on your oar frame, not the raft its self.
Old 01-22-2019   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I tried flex seal on an old Sevylor PVC boat, just to get it down the river one day. I sprayed it 24 hours in advance, and it never set up and remained tacky all day. It was gross, ended up covered in sand and rocks, and still leaked. 0/10 would not recommend, but your results may be better than mine.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I tried Flexseal on my captains seat to give it new life when the vinyl started to crack and water was getting into the foam. I applied several thin coats over several days and then let it sit for three days before an overnight Westwater trip. It felt completely dry but after sitting on it, it left a white outline of my ass on my drysuit. Be careful with that shit!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019   #5

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
Make chafers out of raft material then glue on. Or I have seen urethane applied like thick paint as well. The glued on chafers seem best to me.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Noooooo!

Dont do it. Had a few boats over the last few years come in with it all over them. It gets sticky again in the heat and makes a mess of everything.
Old 01-23-2019   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I think the OP is talking about flex seal tape, not the liquid stuff.
Old 01-24-2019   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Flex Seal Tape on a Dry Bag

I used Flex Seal tape on a dry bag - worked for around two years then had the same problems as described above. It became very gummy and sticky, picking up sand, rocks, dirt, and stopped working. Seems to be a good temporary fix but not long term. A guide told me that Tear Aid patches work great. Haven't needed them yet (knock on wood) but they are on my boat always now. Be mindful of your application, there is a Type A and Type B Tear Aid patch.
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #9

I have no experience with Flex Seal but I nave used System 6 from Man of Rubber on my Aire on top of the tubes to both cover/seal some minor nicks and act as a wear guard for the frame. It has worked great over the 5 or 6 years its been on the raft. No issue with tackiness or rolling. I should say the raft sees minimal use, maybe 1-2 multiday trips a year so your mileage may vary with heavy use. The only issue has been a little peeling along edges where of was put on too thin. I used up some left over on the bottom of the raft and it seems to have held up ok. But the bottom only had 1-2 coats vs 5-6 for the top.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Mountain Buzz mobile app