First raft... NRS vs. Saturn - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-22-2010   #1
mtngant

Eugene, Oregon
First raft... NRS vs. Saturn

Hey all, I am thinking of buying a raft for my family (wife and 3 elementary age boys) and for more adventurous rafting with friends. Of course as my boys get older we will be seeking out bigger adventures as well.

Locally, there is a NRS Otter 120 for sale on craigslist:

"Used only a handful of times. Does have minor tear that has been patched. Sale includes pump ($200) and repair kit ($50)."

For $2100

OR ....

Tonight I saw some threads about Saturn out of Boise. I looked over their site and read what others are saying ... hmmm, their prices seem right and with the new upgraded features for 2010 they seem hard to beat.

Thoughts??

I'm in Western Oregon ... mostly class II rapids around here, but I am sure I will be able to find class III within driving distances eventually.

Thanks.

Mtngant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010   #2

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Perhaps a New Maxxon 14 ft for a better price? better that the saturn, equal to the nrs, Ibeam floor 6 cell...w/ pump and repair kit
Old 08-23-2010   #3

San Juan Islands, Washington
A Maxon is the same quality as an Otter?
12' is a little small but Otters are decent boats, save your money and get a quality 13'er, at the end of the season there's deals everywhere. I'd avoid the Saturns too.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Both are good boats. For an extra $100 you can get a 5 year warranty with the Saturn and it comes standard with a 2 year warranty. You won't get that with a used boat except for an Aire. In your research, be wary of the respondents who haven't actually owned a Saturn or NRS and be wary of dealers such as Gary who happens to sell Maxxon. For class II and III, a Saturn will be plenty of boat and it will save you a lot of money. I have been very happy with mine and have run it down class IV with no issues whatsoever. The new floor, placement of the valves, and handles definitely make for a nicer ride too on the new models.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #5

Golden, Colorado
For used outdoor gear in good condition I think about 50-60% of new value is fair. Almost everyone asks for more for their rafts but they are trying to get a free ride for the use they got out of it.

Don't let the guy act like throwing in a used pump and an old repair kit increases the value of the deal significantly. That is like selling a used car and saying, "Includes spare tire ($200) and jack ($50)."

I'd stay away from the guy for saying a used pump and an old repair kit add $250 value to the deal.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #6

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Are you going to be doing multi-days or just day trips? The 12 footer would seem to be a bit small for multi-day trips, but would be a blast for day tips. I have the 14 foot Otter and love it for my family (wife and two kids). It's a nice intermediate size - small enough to be fun on day trips, but big enough to do multi-days.

If it's between two 12 footers, I'd get the Otter personally. you rarely hear a bad thing about them. Not so much with the Saturns.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #7

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Two adults and 3 kids, for sure a 14', unless you never plan to overnight or multi-day.
Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #8

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The 12' Otter is a good boat. For day trips on the McKenzie, it'll be a blast. It's small enough to get dumped in Marten's - and for entertainment value, that's a bonus. Of course, there is a great line just to the left of that hole that avoids the swim. You'll also enjoy the potential use of your garage for something other than holding a raft.

The limitation on that boat is this: it is going to suck for multi-day trips unless someone else carries the gear. Your cargo capacity is going to feel stretched with just a cooler, never mind the stove, dishes and sleeping bags.

Think of it in these terms: Sports car (12' and under) to pick-up (13-16') to freight truck (18+'). All of them have their virtues and their prime times, and they come with limitations, too.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #9

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
For 5 people I would recommend a 15'. I have the 15' Saturn, and it is great for both multiday trips (it has been down Deso, San Juan, the Grand) as well as fun for day trips. It has spent many days going down the Poudre, various stretched of the Colorado (Pumphouse, Shoshone, Moab Daily). We just got back from a weekend in Glenwood Springs lapping Shoshinm with the family and in-laws.
muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #10
mtngant

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouswater View Post
Both are good boats. For an extra $100 you can get a 5 year warranty with the Saturn and it comes standard with a 2 year warranty. You won't get that with a used boat except for an Aire. In your research, be wary of the respondents who haven't actually owned a Saturn or NRS and be wary of dealers such as Gary who happens to sell Maxxon. For class II and III, a Saturn will be plenty of boat and it will save you a lot of money. I have been very happy with mine and have run it down class IV with no issues whatsoever. The new floor, placement of the valves, and handles definitely make for a nicer ride too on the new models.
Some of the same conclusions I have come to... thanks.
Mtngant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, newbie, nrs, oregon, rafting, saturn