Fire pan recommendation - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-26-2018   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2018
Fire pan recommendation

Just wanted to pick your brains. About to invest in a fire pan and wanted to see what was a decent one. I have heard some rust up like crazy and for the amount of money these things cost, i wanna make sure it do it right the 1st time. Thanks in advance!

fourwheeler081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2018   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwheeler081 View Post
Just wanted to pick your brains. About to invest in a fire pan and wanted to see what was a decent one. I have heard some rust up like crazy and for the amount of money these things cost, i wanna make sure it do it right the 1st time. Thanks in advance!

More info would be good to have. Just want to be legal or GC legal? Want to cook with or just for entertainment/warmth? Light weight or do not care? Cheap or do not care?
Old 12-26-2018   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
must be legal. Need to use for hopefully gates of ladore and salmon river one day. Probably wont cook with it as much as just having a fire but the option would be nice. dont care so much about price or weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2018   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
It's really hard to beat the standard NRS fire pan. Yes they get rusty. Yes they are heavy. I don't see mine rusting through any time soon and I bought mine in 2002. Get the aluminum lid and the bag they sell for it. I use the lid to do the dutch ovens on. Sometimes the lid gets used for a wind screen for a 4 burner partner stove. Every time it gets put over the coals, when I go to bed. Put a rock on it if your worried about wind. I've put a cam strap on it in the morning and put it in the bag full when I'm lazy or need to break camp a little quicker. You'll never get turned away at the put in for having it....... as it IS the fire pan all others are judged by.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018   #5

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I had a friend bring one of the whitewater worthy fire pans on a middle fork.. I was really impressed by how big, sturdy and light it was. I have used NRS and caimbridge fire pans and liked the whitewater worthy one best. I have 3 fire pans and am not in love with any of them. I won a class V pan that is really light but also pretty small that i will use for small trips like upper owyhee and what not. if looking for cheaper light and easy the camp fire defender fire pans are getting rave reviews.. I have not used or even seen one in person myself.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
We make a great firepan that is approved on all rivers and is much lighter than our competitors with similar designs. Our website is currently down for a bit but I'm happy to send you specs and pics directly. I have one in stock at this time.

Keep the snow coming and enjoy your New years!
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018   #7

Denver, Colorado
I'm going to bypass the burly ones and go with a campfire defender pop up pits.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018   #8

Grand Junction, Colorado
please send a pic. Interested
Old 12-26-2018   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwheeler081 View Post
please send a pic. Interested
Please send email to [email protected]
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
2 metal oil change pans are still legal, at least on every permit river I have ever run (including the MF Salmon), super cheap (<$35 for 2 pans and a grill grate), last many many years (i'm on 18 years with the same 2 pans), and are light (less than 5 pounds total for 2 pans and a Rome grill grate). Pair with a fold up grill grate and they cook pretty well too. They also work great as a reflector when using a dutch oven inside as well for baking.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote