Mountain Buzz banner

Fire Blankets

11K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  jeffro 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone know if there are actual size requirements for fire blankets on the Yampa? The regs just say "sufficient size to catch coals and ashes around the fire pan." What size do you use?

Thanks!

#8 ·
I just got the campfire defender fire blanket this spring, and I really like it so far. I haven't put it through the wringer yet, but it seems very durable and well thought out and constructed. I always appreciate good customer service too, and my experience so far has been top notch!

#9 ·
This is what I bought
https://www.wardsci.com/store/product/8882159/nomex-fire-blanket
Adheres to all regs everywhere I've been, although I admit that I haven't had a ranger with a tape measure, or even one that actually wanted to put eyes on it, just wanted to know if we had one. Your experience may differ, but I find that if I have all the gear neatly piled for inspection, and don't have to dig everything out for inspection at the ramp, things tend to be a little smoother at check in.

Not to mention it's $50 bucks cheaper than most any blanket with Campfire in it's name.

#20 ·
According to the link you provided, it's either the same price for a blanket half the size, or thirty dollars more for a blanket that's a little bigger. I have no affiliation with the Campfire Defender folks, but it seems a little disingenuous to claim that their blanket is expensive while posting an alternative that costs more.

#10 ·
Reactions: MT4Runner
#11 ·

Fiberglass though, I'm a welder and have used these, right before throwing them in the trash.

1) you can easily burn a hole in them,

2) fiberglass gets in your skin, just like insulation for a house, and

3) the ones I initially purchased from General Air welding supply in Denver were way higher quality than Garbage Freight, handle them once and itch for the day / night etc.

For 50 bucks more, get the Nomex. It's what Firefighters Bunker gear and wildland turnout gear is made of. Yes, you can eventually burn thru anything, but the Nomex is much more burn resistant than fiberglass, and it doesn't leave itchy glass slivers in your skin.

#19 ·
We use the woodland powerstove for fake fire.. it works great just put the spreader in and your good to go.

Doesn't it suck propane? is hard to tell from the photo how high it's turned up, but if memory serves is 60K BTU stove. How many nights do you figure given a 3 hour burn per night would you get out of a 20# bomb?

#23 ·
All these trips are mid summer hot trips and it puts out a little heat. but is much more just for ambiance and a gathering place for BS and drinking beer. Its a hell of a bug killer also, in the am the ground around it is littered with little victims.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#29 ·
I bought one of these fire blankets and haven't had any fiber issues (thus far, anyway):

https://www.amazon.com/Tillman-Acry...g+blanket+3x3&qid=1562690435&s=gateway&sr=8-7

It's actually pretty soft and flexible - perhaps its the urethane coating that makes it better than the raw fiberglass ones I've seen? I fold it once and then roll it up around the pop-up fire pit; it all fits into the same carry bag that holds the fire pit.

Here you can see it in use right after we partially melted the pop-up fire pit (see the Portable 8lb fire pit thread for the story). We ended up having to pull wood out of the fire when a micro-burst hit our camp and turned the fire into a furnace, which is why there are ashes and pieces of burnt wood on the ground. Don't worry we cleaned it up and carried it out. That said, a 4X4 blanket would probably be the ideal size for one of those pits.

Attachments

#30 ·
That fire blanket looks way too small to be effective. It needs to extend a couple of feet around the pan to catch embers.

#31 ·
I agree that bigger would be ideal.

I've attached a better image showing more typical conditions. That first picture was taken after the CF that occurred with 40mph winds and scrambling to remove fuel from the fire before the reactor totally melted down. This type of fire pit generally does a remarkable job of burning everything down to fine ash and that was the only time we had anything outside the blanket.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.