Fire Blankets - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2019   #21

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedaho View Post
According to the link you provided, it's either the same price for a blanket half the size, or thirty dollars more for a blanket that's a little bigger. I have no affiliation with the Campfire Defender folks, but it seems a little disingenuous to claim that their blanket is expensive while posting an alternative that costs more.

Yep, and it's Nomex, which is a higher quality fabric. Wasn't bashing anyone, or anyone's products, but I've seen most "fire blankets" for sale, and the ones that I personally felt measured up to a Nomex welding blanket in terms of material and quality run $150.00. Sorry if I offended you...

MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019   #22

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Doesn't it suck propane? is hard to tell from the photo how high it's turned up, but if memory serves is 60K BTU stove. How many nights do you figure given a 3 hour burn per night would you get out of a 20# bomb?
I use a 17lb tank that is dedicated to the blaster... it does all the coffee, dishwater and fake fire... i have never came close to running out on a main or middle fork.. 5 or 6 nights.... im maybe running it quarter or less open. We do a wood fire if its convenient camp with wood. I would say we average 4 nights we use it...

just make sure whoever does coffee in the am knows to take the spreader out. Really slows down the process and puts a ton of soot on your coffee pot. This is all we use on hells canyon as wood fires are usually not permitted.

I should run a test one of these days and see how many hours you get. Its nice because it isnt extra gear, as its on the trip regardless.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019   #23

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
All these trips are mid summer hot trips and it puts out a little heat. but is much more just for ambiance and a gathering place for BS and drinking beer. Its a hell of a bug killer also, in the am the ground around it is littered with little victims.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019   #24

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I use the EZ Campfire, was produced in Loveland, CO. Got mine thru the Grand Canyon Private Boaters Assn online store. It's sweet, provides both ambiance and heat, deploys and packs up in 30 seconds. I had heard that the manufacturer quit making them due to lack of interest, and possibly the inability to effectively market it.

Here's a link to a DIY one for those of you that have the skills and the time, I personally think I'd use different materials than the video chose, the idea however is solid

I owned one of those propane campfires for a little while.
This one night on the green, a couple of newer camp cooks decided to put the hose for my propane stove, on top of the burner....
Old 05-27-2019   #25

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
I use a 17lb tank that is dedicated to the blaster... it does all the coffee, dishwater and fake fire... i have never came close to running out on a main or middle fork.. 5 or 6 nights.... im maybe running it quarter or less open. We do a wood fire if its convenient camp with wood. I would say we average 4 nights we use it...

I should run a test one of these days and see how many hours you get. Its nice because it isnt extra gear, as its on the trip regardless.

Ok, that's fair. I bought one of these little stoves for my last Grand trip, had seen them in action on a previous trip and thought, since I'm in a Dory now, the small size and light weight would be preferable. At less than 1/2 the BTU of the Partner Steel blaster I expected it to use 1/2 the propane. I did zero scientific measurement of it's efficiency, however it didn't feel like it was all that economical with the fuel, as we ran it wide open most of the time (with the very same noise level as a blaster).
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #26

Blue River, Colorado
Nomex Aramid Kevlar material on Ebay, I just bought a 5' x 6' piece for $25. I tried to copy link, but it did not work. Try search. I think it's the right stuff.....
kneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #27

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Do you suppose the NPS put in the 5' x 6' (60" x 72") regulation to exclude the Harbor Freight welding blankets?
My first fire blanket was a fiberglass welder's blanket and it sucked. Itch city, horrible to handle, and it was brittle so that any folds would eventually fail. Then I got a silver blanket from DRE, I think, that was much better, didn't shed fibers, and I happily gave the fiberglass blanket away to someone who needed their first fire blanket for a Dino trip and must not have known any better.

If you can come up with a few bucks more, avoid the fiberglass Horrible Fright blanket like the plague and pay a few bucks more for a good fire blanket. If you ever have to actually use it and deal with it in camp, it'll be worth it. You'll regret having the POS fiberglass blanket every time you have to use it.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #28

Denver, Colorado
You're not supposed to curl up in the damned thing, Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
My first fire blanket was a fiberglass welder's blanket and it sucked. Itch city, horrible to handle, and it was brittle so that any folds would eventually fail.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #29

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I bought one of these fire blankets and haven't had any fiber issues (thus far, anyway):

https://www.amazon.com/Tillman-Acryl...gateway&sr=8-7

It's actually pretty soft and flexible - perhaps its the urethane coating that makes it better than the raw fiberglass ones I've seen? I fold it once and then roll it up around the pop-up fire pit; it all fits into the same carry bag that holds the fire pit.

Here you can see it in use right after we partially melted the pop-up fire pit (see the Portable 8lb fire pit thread for the story). We ended up having to pull wood out of the fire when a micro-burst hit our camp and turned the fire into a furnace, which is why there are ashes and pieces of burnt wood on the ground. Don't worry we cleaned it up and carried it out. That said, a 4X4 blanket would probably be the ideal size for one of those pits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	37119  
Old 5 Days Ago   #30

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That fire blanket looks way too small to be effective. It needs to extend a couple of feet around the pan to catch embers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
I bought one of these fire blankets and haven't had any fiber issues (thus far, anyway):

https://www.amazon.com/Tillman-Acryl...gateway&sr=8-7

It's actually pretty soft and flexible - perhaps its the urethane coating that makes it better than the raw fiberglass ones I've seen? I fold it once and then roll it up around the pop-up fire pit; it all fits into the same carry bag that holds the fire pit.

Here you can see it in use right after we partially melted the pop-up fire pit (see the Portable 8lb fire pit thread for the story). We ended up having to pull wood out of the fire when a micro-burst hit our camp and turned the fire into a furnace, which is why there are ashes and pieces of burnt wood on the ground. Don't worry we cleaned it up and carried it out. That said, a 4X4 blanket would probably be the ideal size for one of those pits.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote