Fire Blankets - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2019   #11

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983

Fiberglass though, I'm a welder and have used these, right before throwing them in the trash.

1) you can easily burn a hole in them,

2) fiberglass gets in your skin, just like insulation for a house, and

3) the ones I initially purchased from General Air welding supply in Denver were way higher quality than Garbage Freight, handle them once and itch for the day / night etc.

For 50 bucks more, get the Nomex. It's what Firefighters Bunker gear and wildland turnout gear is made of. Yes, you can eventually burn thru anything, but the Nomex is much more burn resistant than fiberglass, and it doesn't leave itchy glass slivers in your skin.

MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019   #12

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Fiberglass though, I'm a welder and have used these, right before throwing them in the trash.

1) you can easily burn a hole in them,

2) fiberglass gets in your skin, just like insulation for a house, and

3) the ones I initially purchased from General Air welding supply in Denver were way higher quality than Garbage Freight, handle them once and itch for the day / night etc.

For 50 bucks more, get the Nomex. It's what Firefighters Bunker gear and wildland turnout gear is made of. Yes, you can eventually burn thru anything, but the Nomex is much more burn resistant than fiberglass, and it doesn't leave itchy glass slivers in your skin.

I agree with your thinking but, I almost never need to use a fire blanket, (no fires). So the cheapest way to pass inspection works for me.
Old 05-25-2019   #13

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I agree with your thinking but, I almost never need to use a fire blanket, (no fires). So the cheapest way to pass inspection works for me.

Truth be told, I use a propane campfire, heat, ambiance and no mess. Yes, you do have to haul propane, we used 2 20# bombs on our February grand launch, 28 days to Pearce and had 4 inches of propane left in one bomb at the end of the trip. We did bring a conventional firepan for grilling, as one can't cook on the campfire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019   #14

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Truth be told, I use a propane campfire, heat, ambiance and no mess. Yes, you do have to haul propane, we used 2 20# bombs on our February grand launch, 28 days to Pearce and had 4 inches of propane left in one bomb at the end of the trip. We did bring a conventional firepan for grilling, as one can't cook on the campfire.
What propane firepit do you use? No smoke, smell, sparks, firewood to gather and ashes to drag home sounds nice.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019   #15

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
We use the woodland powerstove for fake fire.. it works great just put the spreader in and your good to go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019   #16

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
A couple of pics of it in action.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1558822236966.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	35425   Click image for larger version

Name:	1558822253257.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	35427  

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019   #17

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
What propane firepit do you use? No smoke, smell, sparks, firewood to gather and ashes to drag home sounds nice.

I use the EZ Campfire, was produced in Loveland, CO. Got mine thru the Grand Canyon Private Boaters Assn online store. It's sweet, provides both ambiance and heat, deploys and packs up in 30 seconds. I had heard that the manufacturer quit making them due to lack of interest, and possibly the inability to effectively market it.

Here's a link to a DIY one for those of you that have the skills and the time, I personally think I'd use different materials than the video chose, the idea however is solid
Old 05-26-2019   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
I use the EZ Campfire, was produced in Loveland, CO. Got mine thru the Grand Canyon Private Boaters Assn online store. It's sweet, provides both ambiance and heat, deploys and packs up in 30 seconds. I had heard that the manufacturer quit making them due to lack of interest, and possibly the inability to effectively market it.

Here's a link to a DIY one for those of you that have the skills and the time, I personally think I'd use different materials than the video chose, the idea however is solid

1/2 black iron pipe left over from roller axles. If anyone wants one we can bend but the rest is up to you. I have another version that sits flat and works in an 18x30 firepan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3063CF1C-CF05-4D2A-8263-44BD3403DE07.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	35443  
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019   #19

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
We use the woodland powerstove for fake fire.. it works great just put the spreader in and your good to go.

Doesn't it suck propane? is hard to tell from the photo how high it's turned up, but if memory serves is 60K BTU stove. How many nights do you figure given a 3 hour burn per night would you get out of a 20# bomb?
Old 05-26-2019   #20

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
This is what I bought
https://www.wardsci.com/store/produc...x-fire-blanket
Adheres to all regs everywhere I've been, although I admit that I haven't had a ranger with a tape measure, or even one that actually wanted to put eyes on it, just wanted to know if we had one. Your experience may differ, but I find that if I have all the gear neatly piled for inspection, and don't have to dig everything out for inspection at the ramp, things tend to be a little smoother at check in.

Not to mention it's $50 bucks cheaper than most any blanket with Campfire in it's name.
According to the link you provided, it's either the same price for a blanket half the size, or thirty dollars more for a blanket that's a little bigger. I have no affiliation with the Campfire Defender folks, but it seems a little disingenuous to claim that their blanket is expensive while posting an alternative that costs more.
Eyedaho is offline   Reply With Quote